im 22 weeks and already have worries about labor.

my biggest worry is the epidural. i dont want it because i hate needles to began with and just the thought of a needle going into my back scares the hell outta me!
has anyone had a baby without one? how bad did it hurt? i know that if i have to have a c-section done ill have to have one..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:55 PM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Labor is different for everybody I would try not to worry about it too much right now. When the time comes if your labor is very painful, like it is for some, then you will get the epidural and not worry about the pain or the needle. ( and still be an awesome mom and an awesome woman, no matter what some people say) If you labor isn't as painful then it won't even be something you need to worry about. Try putting it out of you mind, hard I know, cause there really isn't much you can do right now. And also, in my opinion I wouldn't freak out about getting an epidural, thinking it makes you less of a woman or a selfish mommy or anything because then you will just feel bad afterward. Hope this helps a little bit. Good Luck!
    Anonymous

• i didnt want one either. i hate needles. but the labor pain(back labor) was so bad i was on the verge of passing out with each contraction. i told them i didnt want to see the needle, and i never did. it almost stopped my labor, but i was able to rest and recharge a little before it got too bad and had to start pushing. it made my daughter a little over sleepy for the first day or so, which gave me time to rest. discuss it with your doctor above all. some push it more than others but in the end it's your decision. just dont stress. relaxing during labor was an emense help. and breathing, dont forget to.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 10:01 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• i always thought God had us carry our babies for 9 months so that we could mentally prepare for that first birth :)
    i read a book, birthing from within, and it brought me great comfort with regards to me and my ability to birth my babies.
    i have had 4 kids, all natural, and none of the contractions or labor hurt. my body felt pretty beat up after delivering twins, but i had no problems after the singles! anyhow, not a lot of women will tell you there is no pain, but it is possible!
    congrats on your pregnancy!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:02 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Dont let your fear suck the fun outta this for you!

I have had two epi's....want to know the truth about how it felt...???? It honestly felt like a small bee had stung me on the back...no biggie....AND LORD HELP ME...I wouldnt dare have one without the epi...those contractions to get me to 4cm dilated almost killed me!!!

Dont let your mind get carried away. Remember...you will be so excited that the baby is coming that everything will be worth it and will not seem like that big of a deal.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:06 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I had 3 babies, no epidurals. The third was induced for medical reasons and I didn't need an epidural. I never during labor felt I needed anything for pain.

Take childbirth classes, read books about unmedicated births, watch YouTube videos of unmedicated births, to to the websites of organizations that promote unmedicated births, consider hiring a doula.

The more you prepare yourself the less fear you should have.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:08 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• You've got lots of pain management options, these are a few that (being not a medical professional) that I'm aware of:

A) Natural - includes breathing, warm baths, massages, etc.

B) Medicine pain killers - tylenol, narcotics, etc (most women avoid anything too heavy here for worries on how it will effect the baby, but something mild and low dose is common).

C) Epidurals - for what it's worth, you never have to see the needle; it's behind you and out of sight.

I'm sure there's lots more. Just talk with your doctor openly about your fears and your choices; you'll figure out what's best.

mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:18 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I've had one birth with an epi and one without. The one without was SO much better. I LOVED my second birth. My first was traumatic and something I never wish to repeat!

I would HIGHLY recommend checking out Hypnobabies and a doula. The combination of those two things and a wonderful loving husband who was there every step of the way made my second birth AMAZING!!
    Anonymous

• I've had 3 babies without an epidural and getting ready to have my 4th.
    I'm a big baby, an earache will send me crying, but I didn't think having a baby was that bad. It hurts some, but it's on and off. It's not a constant pain.

The more relaxed you are, the easier it is. Meditation is good. So is Hypnobabies (haven't done that but read a lot about it). A good support person helps a lot. My husband is wonderful at my deliveries.

My first birth was awful, because I was scared shitless and I let the nurses tell me when to push instead of listening to my body. My second and third delivery were so easy (because I was more relaxed) that I hardly needed the hospital staff. The doctor was just a formality for catching the baby.
    Anonymous

• I would suggest the same book as happy2bmom25- Birthing from Within. That was the best book I ever read pertaining to labor and delivery. I had my first two completely natural. The first in the hospital, the second at home with midwives. Six years later, I let myself get scared by the pain and ended up w an emergency(Crock of shit) C Section. With my fourth I didn't know what to do, until I read that book. It fully supports you if you want to have a hospital birth, but I chose a Vaginal Birth after C-Section-VBAC at home, after finding out that it would be safe for me. I labored by myself. By the time I called my midwives and they got there, I was at 9 and getting in the birthing tub where my daughter was born. The best labor and delivery I ever had! It's understanding that pain is happening for a reason, that's the key. You'd be suprised by how much control you have over your body.
    Sacheen.T.

Answer by Sacheen.T. at 12:27 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• By the way, most "emergency" C-Sections are not necessary. Looking back at mine, I know it was more out of convenience for the doctors than it was the safety of my baby.
    Sacheen.T.

Answer by Sacheen.T. at 12:31 AM on Mar. 25, 2010