when do you take your kid to the doctor with a bumped head?

My 16m old fell and hit his head pretty hard on the frame of his bedroom door. And has a huge bruise on his forehead. After some tears he seemed to be fine minus the horrible mark. Should I take him in to see the doctor in the morning? Or is a bruise something I shouldnt worry about?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:08 PM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We had to take our LO when she fell down a step and was throwing up afterward but it was nothing. I've heard that if the bump comes out it is a good sign. If he's acting differently at all I would call.
    mom22littlegirl

Answer by mom22littlegirl at 10:10 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Same thing happened to our son, and we we're freaking out cause it was a pretty big knot on his head. But the doctor just basicly told us it was pointless coming in.
    Anonymous

• i would take him in if he were vomiting, seemed out of it, or had pupils of different sizes. i am sure your son is fine...this probably wont be his las t big bump!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:11 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• If he is acting normal and there is no indentation bump..one that goes into his head rather than out like a goosegg...then he should be fine.

I might keep him up a bit longer tonight to watch him.

When a kid has a head bump its better for it to go out like a egg than in....if there is a bump like that at all.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:12 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I always call for a bump on the head and see what they say.
    Anonymous

• i agree acting not normal, throwing up, and they do say to see a bump is good. but they also recomend not letting them sleep for a few hours to keep them awake so u can watch them. also an ice pack helps the bump. good luck mama. most of us have been there xo
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 11:19 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• We took our 3 yr old to the ER right after she fell while running & hit her forehead on the coffee table. She had a huge goose egg & it happened the same week that actress died from a head injury. Anyway, the DR said the main head injuries that you should be worried about are those in which the "bump" sinks in instead of swelling out & those that are in the back of the head. He said the front of the skull is very hard & durable, but it's injuries to the back of the head that are dangerous.

Any bump no matter where on the head should be watched & if there is vomiting, listlessness, unusual desire to sleep when they're normally active, or any unusual behavior, in my book would warrant at least a call to the DR if not a trip to the ER. Better safe than sorry.
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 11:55 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• If they are knocked out from the bump then you should go... or if they start vomiting or are acting strange. Otherwise stay home... nothing a doctor can do about a bump.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:07 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• If he is acting as he usually does, and there is no bleeding, black/blue discoloration other than the location of the injury, I wouldn't go to the doctor. This happened to my brother (5yrs) two or three weeks ago. He fell of the bus and smacked his head! It looked awful. You know it must have been bad if a black child got a bruise LMAO No seriously, we just watched him, put ice, made sure he stayed calm. He was fine, and there's not even a trace of it now.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 1:24 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• My 5yo bumped his head a few months ago; actually, he climbed up his dresser and fell off head first. My son is a VERY rough and tumble boy so I did not do anything at first.

The first thing that was unusual was that he did not start complaining about his head hurting until about 40 minutes after hitting his head. I did not know about the dresser at this point because he said he hit his head on the wall rolling over; I thought he was just trying to avoid his nap (he was home sick from school). I gave him some Motrin which he vomited 20 minutes later.

At that point I questioned him again, and he admitted to the dresser. I looked up head injuries in children and checked that his pupils were the same size and dilating evenly; I waited to see if he would vomit again which he did twice more on the hour. Since he was still vomiting 3hrs later I took him to the Dr. The doctor evaluated ds and did not think he had a concussion.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 12:38 PM on Mar. 25, 2010