A biting 12 month old?

Well it seems that my darling little girl has developed an attitude problem. She throws temper tantrums and will bite. The tantrums I can usually stop, the biting I can not. She will bite, I tell her no biting in a stern voice and stern face. She just laughs at me and does it again, and again, and again. I have tried being really upset and acting like it really hurt thinking she wouldnt want to see me in pain...again, she laughs and does it again and again. So then I dragged out the bumbo seat and when she would bite me, I tell her no biting in a stern voice and sit her in the bumbo seat and she gets out of it in a matter of seconds and then laughs at me. So, I tried the ignoring thing and now I have a bruise on my shoulder/back area. Any other suggestions (and I will not bite her back).

vickwu

Asked by vickwu at 10:47 PM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I know this sounds mean but it really worked with my kids tap their mouth when they bite so they can feel their lips against their teeth that broke my boys. When I say tap i dont mean hit or slap I mean to do it with just one finger and just barely enough so the feel that sensation.
    csandersfuller

Answer by csandersfuller at 12:41 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I know it sounds horrible, but biting back works it you do it the first time. Now that you have had the problem for awhile I don't think it would work anyway. Once a nursling bit me and I screamed (it hurt) shocked him, he never did it again. Try the lip thing. I've never had a baby laugh at me evil like that. I would watch her closely.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:09 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I was going to say what anon 8;09 just said scream and show her how much it hurts and that scream of yours might shock him so bad that maybe she won't bite you again.gl.:)
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 8:23 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• eh, i'd bit her back. or pop her on the cheek.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:58 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• That sounds just like my two year old!!!!
    We try everything to be calm cool and collected about these things don't we!

When I would scream back at my daughter she woudl get scared and cry and scream louder. That didn't work.

So I held her nose and mouth together, lightly and told her no biting. ( Like you do to a puppy.) She eventually stopped. But I can definately understand the evil laughing. Ella is scary sometimes. Like she is a little too smart for her own good.

It also helps to show her the bruise and relate it to a scrape or "booboo". "They hurt and so does this"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:02 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• She laughs because he hasn't experience pain.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:22 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• It sounds cruel a little bit and I thought so the first time I had about 10 ppl tell me the samething about my now 9 yr old. When he was around 9 months he started to bite everybody and everything. So ppl told me to bite him back I didn't want to do that cause naturally we as parents don't want our children to feel any kind of pain. Finally, at about 1 yr of age I bit him back and I could see his heart break. It broke mine too...but after that he didn't bite me until about a month later and I repeated it and it took about 3 or 4 times and he moved on and didn't do it anymore. Also my know 11 month old is starting the samething as my other son. So I have told him NO and sat him down and he crys. He still does it he's not quite 1 so I detour him with things like chewing rings or give him some orajel. Althought if these things don't work then I too may have to try other things. Hope everything works itself out.
    crystalcline

Answer by crystalcline at 9:56 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Since your daughter has no apparent 'respect' for you (your feelings or discipline) perhaps you should consider getting down on her level for a moment. My 12 month old was biting his baby brother and we were going round and round because I only saw the bite marks, never the biting. He was a very bright child and was already talking so I knew he grasped the concept of words and understood all the times I said ‘no, bite, and hurt’ as I pointed to 'his' teeth marks on his baby brother.
    It was not until the day I actually saw him take his brothers arm and lift it to his mouth, that I instinctively went over, took his own arm, and bit it just enough to leave a small imprint, then I repeated in my mom tone as I had before, "NO, BITE, HURT" pointed to the bite marks (as he cried), that he finally STOPPED biting. Sometimes you gotta get tough and just go 'she-wolf' on stubborn behaviors.
    native61

Answer by native61 at 10:02 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• She doesn't understand that she's really hurting you. The next time she bites you, can you scream like you've been hurt worse than you can possibly imagine? You may need to really give her a good (bad) scare to shock her out of this behavior.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 10:14 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Well I tried a new tactic today and so far it has worked. She is a very bright child and I know she does it because she gets a reaction and it seems to be only me that she likes to bite. When she is leaning in for a bite, I put my hand on her face, hold her back while I stand up and walk away. She got mad a few times, then when she noticed I would not play anymore with her, she started giving hugs and kisses. Like I said, she is very bright and one smart cookie! Thanks everyone.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 9:33 PM on Mar. 25, 2010