What is wrong with people?

We have a local rapist on the loose - he's driving around in a white crown vic and impersonating an undercover cop. He got some woman to pull over last night, forced his way into her car, drove off a ways and raped her.

http://www.fox28.com/Global/story.asp?S=12194207

This happened a few miles from our house, but it was right off an interstate exit, so a reminder to everyone to be careful when your driving alone. This is just so infuriating.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 11:10 PM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I hope someone shoots him. Be safe NP. It's scary to have such things happen so close to your home.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 11:14 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• i hope they catch the guy..keep your doors locked and windows locked just to be safe. something like that was happeing in my area a few years ago..i got pulled over once but i didnt pull over right away i went to a lighted full parking lot ( it was at night ) i rolled my window down enough for police man to hear me when i asked can i see your bage and badge #..he didnt ask me why for anything he knew and said to me. " smart girl and keep being safe" also got a warning to fix my tail light..
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 11:14 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• That's why you're supposed to ask to see ID, even if you believe it's a cop. A real cop won't like it, but they will understand.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:16 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• The last paragraph in the story deserves repeating:

Police say officers in unmarked vehicles must be in uniforms to perform traffic stops, and they will always have cars with both red and blue lights. If you're still not sure a car behind is a legitimate law enforcement vehicle, police say you don't have to stop immediately. Instead of pulling over you are allowed to slow down, and turn on your hazards instead. Then you must call 911 to confirm the stop is legit. Once you have confirmed the stop, you need to pull over.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:32 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Quinn, what you reposted in your reply is absolutely correct. We had some stupid girl here in VA make a call saying an officer pulled her over and then tried to drag her out of the car. It ended up being a fake report and she got in some big trouble, but they had stuff all over our news paper about how you need to slow down, put the hazzards on and then call to confirm that it is a real officer pulling you over.
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 11:39 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I won't stop for an unmarked car unless it is where there are plenty of others around. When we were living in NJ I had an unmarked car try to make me pull over. He had NO flashing lights, just a bright white light. It was dark and I was alone with my baby in the car. I put on my flashers and drove about 15 miles to the nearest exit with a truck stop. The cop came to my car with his gun out and yelled at me to get out of the car. I was terrified! He wasn't in unifrom either, just slacks and a sports coat. He threatened to arrest me and everything. I refused to get out of the car and called 911. It turns out it was a cop, but he was just busting chops so to speak. I didn't get a ticket, but I did get an apology when I filed a complaint.

Thanks for posting this NP.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:18 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Wow that's happening again where are you. That happened in Phoenix, az about 4yrs back.I think there were 6 rapes total and 8 attempted Holy crap I thought that would never happen again. Same MO to crown vic impersonating a police office, poling them over, driving them to deserted locations and raping them. I am never stopping for a cop away from public well light locations screw that. Be careful NP! Good Luck
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 3:39 AM on Mar. 25, 2010