Autism?

Hi I I have a 6 month old son who seems to also be having trouble with eye contact. He does fine as long as you are not holding him but if u hold him he looks everywhere else except at the person holding him. If I make a weird noise i can get him to make brief (less than a minute) eye contact. He will look at me if my husband is holding him and vice versa just not the person holding him. I play with him alot in the floor and we have a floor size mirror that he loves to look at. He rolled over at 4 months, is tripod sitting, says bah bah. We had his hearing checked by an audiologist and it was ok. He has a 3 year old brother and he gets very excited to see him he jumps and laughs when he comes around. I work 3 days a week and when i come home he gets very excited with the bouncing and laughing. I spoke to my doctor about this and he says he says he isnt focusing up close yet (6mo). Does this sound like something to worry about?

Rubysred

Asked by Rubysred at 11:51 PM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• NO way to tell at 6 months. And, that is normal, he is enjoying his surroundins. He is tired of looking only at peoples faces when held. He wants to see everything else. Don't worry. You won't know about Autism until 2,3 or older anyway.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:01 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• No, not a sign of autism. He sound like a normal baby. The earliest I have ever heard of determining a child has autism is 18 months. There are other things to look at as well. Your baby sounds fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Sounds very normal for his age. Autism doesnt show until around 2 years like a PP said in rare cases 18 months. My son didnt show until 2 1/2 but looking back and really thinking about things there were small changes a month after he turned 2 but we throught it was because we had just moved out of state away from family and he was adjusting it didnt take long to realize we were wrong.

When the Autism switch is flipped (sorry it really is as if someone flips a light switch when it happens) you notice more than a single change it is many changes that happen very quickly and very noticeable.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:15 AM on Mar. 25, 2010