How do I get my child to sleep in his crib?

I breastfed my son for about 5 1/2 months. He's now 16 months and still cannot go to sleep without touching my stomach, which is sort of how he fell asleep while nursing. So, I can't get him out of my bed now. I've tried letting him fall asleep with me and then moving him; he wakes up. I've tried putting him in the crib and let him "cry it out"; and he climbs out of the crib. I don't know what else to do. Please help!

theosmom111508

Asked by theosmom111508 at 11:59 PM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Shouldnt have left him in your bed for the first 16months and it wouldnt be a problem! My son was BF & has no problem sleeping in his own bed!

How hard is it to nurse & then put him back in his own bassinet or crib?! No sympathy for mothers who are morons.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• omg havnt you heard of if you dont have nothing nice to say dont say anything at all....
    you are doing to have a very hard time getting him to sleep in his own bed mine is 3 and still sleeps with me in my room i just have a bed for him and one for me in there but thats my choice until his daddy comes home i just dont feel its safe. but thats how i want it. try putting the crib in your room or make a little bed next to yours that worked for me.......GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I think the best way to get him to sleep in his crib is to be 100% persistent in making him. That means when he climbs out of his crib you put him back in. Do it 50 times if you have to but he will realize climbing out doesnt get him into mommies bed like he wants. As long as he can climb out and get what he wants, why would he stop? Persistence is key in any discipline situation with children.

MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 1:11 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Oh and let me add that I also EBF and coslept with my baby until she was about a year old. It was hard to let go and hear her cry from her crib. But it only took a week to get her used to a routine of bathing, storytime, and bedtime and it has been SOOOO very worth it. You just have to stick to your guns. And the first anon is the moron.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 1:13 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Just let him cosleep if that's what makes him happy. When he's 16 and driving, you'll miss these days.
    Happypancake

Answer by Happypancake at 9:34 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Why do we need to slap each other in the face w/juvenile comments? We had the same issue w/our daughter and I know you probably aren't going to like it because I didn't either but this is what we did. I would put Alexa in her crib the same time every night and would lay on the floor until she fell asleep but everytime she got out of her crib I would put her back and yes it took about three nights of her getting out and me putting her back in that by the 4th night she stayed in her crib and fell asleep on her own. Now all we do is give her favorite toy, leave a night light on and put her to bed while she is still awake and within 5 minutes she is fast asleep and she does it all on her own. She does have her nights when she will cry but I will go back in rub back and tell her mommy and daddy are out in the livingroom and she eventually will fall asleep. The crying and screaming are the toughest to get through! Good luck!
    PatriciaofMN

Answer by PatriciaofMN at 11:00 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Seriously first anon?! You must have a nice view up there on your high horse! Get a life and quite spending your time focusing negative energy at mom's who are asking for help, not a slap in the face!

I bf both my kids and they still come to bed from time to time if they wake up at night. If I had to do it again, I would get a baby gate for the little one's room. I gave my son a toddler bed when he wouldnt stay in his crib anymore. My daughter used to flip out of her crib. Anyway, you will have to take time some time to develop a bed time routine with your little one and stick to it. You can watch clips from the Super Nanny on youtube. It works! Best of luck to you!
    etsmom

Answer by etsmom at 11:39 AM on Mar. 25, 2010