when and how often did your doctor check if you were dilating?

i had my first 2 children with the same doctor and he started checking me for dilation & effacement at around 37 weeks, maybe even earlier. i'm 38 weeks now with a new doctor & he hasn't checked me once. i'll be coming in for my 39 week check up but i doubt he'll check me then either. do i have a lazy doctor or is it not standard for them to check for dilation & effacement? i just wanted to know what other women experienced during the last few weeks of their prenatal care? thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Mar. 25, 2010 in Pregnancy

• He does not need to. You have an awesome doc this time then. That does nothing, means nothing and can introduce bacteria into the cervix. The only time it matters is when you are checked while in labor to see if you are a 10 and ready to push. Don't worry about it. It doesn't matterif you are a 1 or a 5 now.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:39 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I think it's common practice now to just wait until forty weeks to check for dilation the first time. Unless of course you're having problems, like this is my second child and I have been contracting a lot lately due to stress so they decided to check me just to be on the safe side today and I'm only thirty seven weeks as of today.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• There's no good reason to check anyway. Baby comes when he comes, and knowing what you're dilated to doesn't mean anything about when you'll have the baby. Plus, who WANTS a hand in their vagina? Vaginal exams can HURT this stage of pregnancy. No thank you lol.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:49 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• There is no reason for him to check you.

It doesn't really tell you anything. You can be dilated to a 5 and be 40% effaced for 6 weeks.

Getting checked just increases your chances of developing infection.

Your doctor's not lazy. He's SMART!! Be thankful!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:13 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Well my doctor checked me once at 35 weeks and that was it. they normally (at this doctors office) don't check you till your in labor and at the hospital. Every doctor is different tho. You can always be checked if you ask. I think they don't check cause dilation and effacement don't really mean much. I stayed 80% effaced and not dilated till i was in labor.
    mommy2be77

Answer by mommy2be77 at 7:34 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• i got check every week at my appointment after i believe 37weeks. it never hurt and the only time it hurt when someone checked was when i went to the hospital in false labor. i was out of state and not my doctor. but i do agree that not checking would be not really necessary. espcially since you been through this. good luck
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 7:58 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• There is no reason to check so you have a good doctor, its useless information and only adds stress and bacteria to the mothers
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 12:25 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Well I was 2 cen at 30 weeks and by the time i delivered i was 3 cen dilated she checked me every time i was seen and she also stretched and it was so painful it felt like on big contraction or a really bad cramp
    AidensMommy1025

Answer by AidensMommy1025 at 9:24 PM on Mar. 25, 2010