How much tummy time for a 2 month old?

My son is not a huge fan of tummy time, he gets irritated with it fairly quickly. Although, some days are better than others. The Boppy seems to minimize the irritation, but it's not a cure-all. I want him to get stronger and develop properly, but I also don't want to constantly irritate him.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Advice? How much tummy time should he be getting?

LilMommaBear

Asked by LilMommaBear at 12:38 AM on Mar. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would say just until he begins to get tired and has trouble holding his head up.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 12:51 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• ya id lay my daughter down and put a few things in front of her..and once she started rubbing her face on the floor or dropping her head on the floor like she couldnt hold it up any longer (signs that your baby is tired or just doesnt want to be down anymore) is when id pick him her up..but if your doing something or something else needs ot be done and hes just being fussy cuz he wants you to hold him he can be on his stomach for a little longer =]]
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 1:10 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• as long as he will do it. my youngest was like that and i would put her down for a good 10 to 15 mins at a time. i also would lay on the floor and put her tummy to tummy with me so she could look at me while still on her tummy which helped extend the amount of time a little. but when they start to drop their heads and rub it on the floor and become cranky thats about the limit. another thing you can do is to sit them up on your lap that helps strengthen their back and neck as well. at two months their should start holding their head up for longer and longer times. just keep trying as much as they will tolerate it.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 2:11 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Follow the baby's cues. If he can only stand a few seconds so be it. It takes time for them to develop muscle control, so just offer several opportunities during the day on the floor or flat surface. Don't use the boppy. As soon as the baby indiates that he's had enough, pick him up. Carrying the baby also helps develop muscles in your arms, sling/wrap, or lap is excellent exercise, it is too much time in baby containers that are not good for development.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:48 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• We let our 2 month old on his tummy until he starts bitching about it.
    Happypancake

Answer by Happypancake at 9:31 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Start the Tummy Time in small, tolerable spurts and gradually work up to an hour per day. That might sound like a lot, but it can be done if you start slowly. Make sure you’re getting down there with him, and offer his favorite toy or object. A baby-proof mirror or bright ball can work well. Pathways Awareness has developed some tips on their website for parents: http://bit.ly/8IhuuF. Soon you’ll both be TT pros!
    PathwaysMom

Answer by PathwaysMom at 12:35 PM on Mar. 29, 2010