Fasting Question

I am looking into fasting, and am hoping someone who fasts can tell me what they do. When do they eat and if water or coffee are ok? TIA

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on Mar. 25, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• The only fasting i know about is in the Muslim religon when they do Ramazan. And during that period you cannot have anything. No food, no drinks, no smoking, no booze, nothing. Once the hours come around that you can eat you can fill up on what you like but still no booze. And every day it shortens by a few mintues. My DH is Muslim and he used to pratice Ramazan when he was younger with his family but now that hes older he does it sometimes but for the most part since he works 16+ hour shifts he has to eat or he cannot function.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:10 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Many Christians fast, and in fact, we just had a very good sermon on this. It depends on what you're fasting from - each person is different, and each fast is different. Even the most "strict" fasting / teachings on it do NOT suggest that you fast from water as well. Some choose to not eat anything for a given time. Some choose to eat a very restricted diet. Some choose to fast from a specific food / group of foods (or items - I'll talk about that in a minute..) - sort of like giving something up for Lent, for example.

As our Pastor pointed out, fasting doesn't even have to be strictly a food - you can "fast" from watching tv, using your computer, etc. It's about giving up something that's important to you, but not just giving it up and replacing it with whatever. For example - if you fast from food, but then use your lunch break to catch up on work, that sort of defeats the purpose.

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:27 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• cont

For the fast to be effective, you should, instead, use that time that you would be doing the other activity - eating, watching tv, whatever - to pray, read your Bible, and reflect on things. Also, fasting should be a private thing, not something that you announce. (So, say, you're fasting from food, but friends invited you out to dinner. You should simply say, thank you, but I can't go tonight, I have other plans, but maybe we can get together ___ - then give a time after your fast. Instead of say, going to dinner with them and announcing "I can't eat, I'm fasting" then making a production of it.)

Now, you can fast as part of a group, say your church is fasting before a decision, but again, it's more about doing so in a humble and submissive manner and being open to God's wisdom and guidance.

Hope this helps :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:32 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• The common fast is the daniel fast. If your new to it, 3 days of fruit juices, fruits and veggies and water is best. The reason to fast is commonly done for break through and/or a drawing yourself near to Christ. Fasting was never done to better yourself yet people fast for that reason. I dont do fasting as I have to becareful do to Hypoglycemia. as always check with your dr to be your you can do this. :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 4:59 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• google daniel fast and it will give u a list of what can be eaten on it and other information. this is the one we usually do or a one day fast if no food and only water until sundown.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I'm Mormon. We fast at least once a month and then some fast more than that or for special reasons. Typically for us it's a 24 period without food or water. ( Some choose to do 2 consecutive meals which is still okay- like skipping dinner and then going to sleep and skipping breakfast and then finally having lunch)

Along with the fasting goes prayer for the reason you are fasting. Whether it be to be more spiritually in tune or for a specific reason like wanting someone to get over an illness or asking for help with personal issues. Many also focus on scripture study. Then when your fasting period is over you close with a prayer as well.

Not only is this good for the spirit, it really is good for the body every once in a while!
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 12:24 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• When I fast (for religious reasons), I have nothing from sundown to sundown.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:13 PM on Mar. 25, 2010