What Other Foods I can Feed my toddler

I have a 21 month old baby boy who never eats meat I fake it with him and the boy actually knows it. No one in my family is vegatarian I give him pedasure but I feel like he isnt getting enough food he does eat alot of pasta and I think he is underweight but the doctors never really say anything to me besides that is normal. Any ideas what else I can feed him?

TinaMoss

Asked by TinaMoss at 12:56 AM on Mar. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter doesn't eat meat, and neither did I or any of my siblings when we were that age. It's okay. A lot of kids don't like meat. My daughter gets her protein from milk and whole grains. I asked her doctor about her being such a picky eater, and he smiled and just suggested I give her a vitamin if I was worried about it, but that her weight was fine (she's 95th percentile for height and 50th for weight). He said "At this age they don't eat enough to keep a bird alive." It's true, she eats just bites here and there.

Don't worry about it. Toddlers naturally thin out and eat less than we think they should. Your doctor would say something if he was too skinny :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:13 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• my son is 22mos and weighs 24lbs measures 32in. He's slender. I feed him carb food like pasta, sweet/potatoes with butter. I gave him salmon with steamed carrots in a butter sauce. He like it. I give him a lot of dairy (cheese n whole milk). Dr suggested giving him ice cream to gain weight (aside from butter and sour cream). I make fruit purees (blueberries with peaches n apples) n mix it with milk or ice cream (no sugar, all natural).

I don't worry too much about his weight, but feed him what he needs.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 1:34 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• my son is the same way hes 38in and only 29lb
    dr said to try nut butters, dairy,whole grains and eggs
    liadotwtd

Answer by liadotwtd at 4:02 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• your doc is right, it is normal for him not to eat meat...why?..simply because they do not want to take the time to have to chew it up..i was concerned when my dd did this too...will he eat hot dogs or chicken nuggets? make sure he's getting his milk. good luck
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 9:16 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• try nut butters like liadotwtd said, also beans.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:21 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• We don't eat meat. Pediasure is loaded with sugar, and not at all healthy. Lentils are loaded with protein, fiber, iron, calcium; beans are another great option; quinoa is not only full of protein and fiber, it is the only plant-based food with the complete chain of amino acids. Nutritional yeast is a great source of B-vitamins. Avocado has healthy fats Tofu has healthy fats and protein.

Here is a great source of information: http://vegkitchen.com/kid-friendly-recipes.htm 

Answer by rkoloms at 6:18 PM on Mar. 25, 2010