Legalizing recreational marijuana on CA ballot

Today California's Secretary of State certified a ballot intiative to legalize recreational marijuana for anyone over 21. People will be allowed to possess one ounce of marijuana and be allowed to grow it. Local municipalities can tax and regulate.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/03/24/BADI1CHAMR.DTL

Asked by gdiamante at 1:42 AM on Mar. 25, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• alcohol's legal and it's been compared to coccaine. so....what's the difference? alcohol doesn't help Cancer or AIDS patients. What medical benefit does alcohol have?? but to relieve stress. Oh wait, that's also what leads to alcoholism since alcohol is addictive.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 1:45 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• GOOD. Every other state should follow suit. The benefits to this COMPLETELY NATURAL PLANT have been proven to be plentiful and it is a shame that there is such a stigma surrounding marijuana. This stuff is grown from a seed, not manufactured in a meth lab. The only proven health issue comes from smoking it (you would get the same lung problems from smoking hay) and it is an effective form of medication.
    Lets make the "drug dealers" pay taxes as well and allow people with chronic pain/cancer the freedom to purchase it without a Doctors note.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 1:54 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I would rather people be honest and say they like to smoke it because it's fun and feels good than to have all these aholes pretending to have headaches, back pain, anxiety, all that so they get on Medicaid and sit around crying woe is me, I need my medical marijuana! Be honest people! You like it, it's fun, pay for it and go back to work! Of course too much weed will make you a fat lazy slob but there's no reason to go crying to SSI about it. A sad fact, my college boyfriend needed to go to rehab for being a pothead but he was laughed at. Pot isn't addictive, after all. Well, yes, it is for some people but with all the blessed glory of the natural herb promoting groups, he could not be helped. Last I knew he blew up to 350 pounds. He didn't drink or do any other drugs, just God's natural cure-all weed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:29 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• alcohol has coccain in it! true fact!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:34 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• We may go to CA this summer, funds permititng so the kids can see the redwoods and maybe go to disneyland again. If that bill passes in Nov...don't think I'll want to go there. People drive crazy enough down there without adding those high on pot to it. And before someone says "no one on pot has ever killed anyone in a road accident"......just how do you KNOW that? Whenever I've heard of an accident and the driver who caused it was on drugs...they NEVER say what drug...it could be cocain, heroin or hey...it could have been pot. Since they never say which drug, there really is no way anyone can say that driving high on pot does not and has not ever caused an accident.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 3:22 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Good at least there economical problems will be helped. Now why is my legislatives in Az so stupid. We can't pay crap now and are having to cut educational programs. Get smart AZ follow chain.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 3:31 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• How many times have they voted on this? Personally I could care less. I have never been to California and I will never go. I don't care if the place fell off into the ocean. It's a drain on the people who live there and it's a drain on America.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:20 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I don't want it to be legal for me to work alongside with a pothead who smells like weed. If it becomes completly legal then what would be the point of drugtesting because it does take days to get out of your system and drug users have no reason to be in the workplace.
    viridian

Answer by viridian at 8:38 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Go for it.
    MaryJane849

Answer by MaryJane849 at 9:12 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

We here in California would kick your ass over the border if you tried to come here. You are not welcome.
    trippyhippy

Answer by trippyhippy at 10:03 AM on Mar. 25, 2010