Benadryl for my dog

My dog has allergies and is very itchy. I know many people give their dogs Benadryl. How much should I give my dog - he is about 22 lbs (Terrier)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:46 AM on Mar. 25, 2010 in Pets

• Please don't give this without consulting your vet...people meds are not made for dogs. Check your phone book for a 24-hour animal clinic in your area...they can help.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:58 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• no it will hurt your dog i heard from a vet.... never give your dog human meds...call a vet
    firstimemomm603

Answer by firstimemomm603 at 3:04 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I'm a vet tech and we use benadryl all the time for dogs. the dosage is 1mg per pound so your dog could have one 25mg capsule 3-4 times a day as needed.
    staciaw

Answer by staciaw at 6:13 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Uh, most vets will prescribe it...
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:18 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• My sister's vet has her use it too. It's safe.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 9:31 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• yep it's safe! All my dogs have taken it! but you should call ur vet and ask how much you can give them! I call all the time for the dosage on things and they don't mind at all!
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 10:03 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• We use the childrens' benadryl when we do, but we've never had a problem with it... that and children's chewable tylenol...
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 10:24 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Our dog has been on Benadryl for about 6 months...what a changed dog, no more digging and chewing and scratching till she is raw. We had tried it before but this time our vet said to increase the dose. Love, love, love the positive changes in her! Our other alternative was to try steroid shots, really happy to be able to avoid those. Key here, talk to your vet.

emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 11:41 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Just wanted to add our vets other suggestion. A lot of dog allergies are food related, there is a special food that you can give them to check it out or we just (in the process of) changed ours over to a different food. We have become super consious of the amount of additives in many pet foods.
    emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 11:45 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• My vet told me to give my golden retriever benadryl. Our 50 lb retriever get a teaspoon when her allergies are bothering her.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 7:46 PM on Mar. 25, 2010