Worried about my 2nd grader possible having to stay back...any advise?

My son is 8 yrs old and is behind in reading/comprehension and gets easily distracted. On his report card, the teacher wrote a note saying that he would benefit from repeating the 2nd grade. I am am aware of this, and have mixed feelings about it. Not only is he getting tittle 1 services in school, he just started this past Monday, getting tutored by his current teacher 3 times a week and this will continue through the entire summer. Ultimately, the decision to hold him back will be the principal's, after conferencing with the teacher, title 1 and myself at the end of the year. I do want what will benefit him the most, and know if he has to stay back, the earlier in grade levels the better.

jmd79

Asked by jmd79 at 3:03 AM on Mar. 25, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• alot of schools where i live do split classes..grades 1-2 split, and 2-3 split..does your school do anything like that? if so maybe try putting him into the grade 2-3 split next year so he can still be in grade 3 with all his friends..but, will have "easier" work..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:08 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• They actually do this in the school he attends as well.  I will definetly suggest that, thank you!

jmd79

Answer by jmd79 at 3:26 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• My niece repeated 2nd grade due to reading and comprehension issues. But they were also moving and she was going to be in a new school and she was very small for her age so the other kids had no idea. She worked really hard and the new school was better too and my sister worked with her a lot. Now she is a junior in high school and gets good grades and will be graduating early with this year's seniors.
    My daughter's school also has some split classes. I have mixed feelings about the split classes, but my daughter has not been in one of the split classes yet. That may be a better option for him. I hope everything works out for the best for your son.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:41 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Everyone I know (online, that is) that has grade-splitting in their school, speaks favorably of it. In your son's situation, grade-splitting may be ideal as he can work to his level on individual tasks and still be with his age-mates.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 2:33 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• My son may be in the same boat....his problem is "fluency" when it comes to reading and his teacher told me at the end of the 2nd nine weeks (halfway through the year) that he wil most likely be held back. It took me almost this entire 9 weeks before I got a clear answer out of her. I told her I didn't see a problem with his reading because he reads fine at home. She was constantly telling me he has a problem with reading. Well not at home, so why at school? It finally came out that it's fluency. He has to read the first 100 words in 3 minutes with 3 or few mistakes. He's been practicing but I can tell she felt 1/2 way through the year that he needed to be held back. I'm not so sure, he's not a fast reader, but neither am I. But he comprehends the material (he passes his reading comprehension tests with high marks).....just working with him and waiting to see I guess. Never heard of grade splitting here :(
    lissa27504

Answer by lissa27504 at 6:58 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Thanks, these are all helpful answers. I am going to continue to work aggressively with him as well as his teachers, and if it comes down to it being best for him, in the long run to repeat 2nd grade, I am all for it. His confidence is building every day. :)
    jmd79

Answer by jmd79 at 4:57 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• why don't you go over this with him yourself at home. Have him read a psragraph or two at a time and then ask him questions about the story of what he has read so far. You can do this for 30. min everyday; this should really help him out alot. gl
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 9:41 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• I am and have been, of course going over all of his schoolwork & reading with him at home, myself. Even moreso since I realized there was an issue with comprehension and such. Thank you, I will continue to pick up the pace.
    jmd79

Answer by jmd79 at 6:48 PM on Mar. 28, 2010