Debate on another forum interested in your opinion. Do you think all Pagans are witches?

This is a huge debate right now on another forum I use. The idea is that there can be no such thing as a christian witch, but what about christo pagans? If I understand correctly not all Pagans identify as a "witch". Can someone feel the path of a nature based religion is right for them and not be a witch? I think so but I wanted to see how others feel maybe I am missing something.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:22 AM on Mar. 25, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Paganism is an Umbrella term used (as we know) for those whom do not practice (what I call) mainstream Religion...
    Now Paganism as with Christianity (with their many denoms) has many many parts/beliefs systems to follow...
    Not all Pagan's practice Witchcraft (which is a practice not a religion) nor do ALL Witches claim to be Pagan or of a Religion.
    Being a Pagan (then) meant 'Ppl of the land' as for being a Witch, that name came to us from Christians (in a sense) a person who practiced being a midwife/female dr/medicine woman/man also those of older age and knew of the natural ways of living were all considered being a Witch...
    It's simple "Not ALL Pagans are Witches" nor are "All Witches Pagans" and yes you can be a Christian and practice Witchcraft... it is only the combining of the beliefs of the Bible with the beliefs of a earthly/natural harmony of nature...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 8:30 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• That's how I was told by a couple. I think you can technically be all religions I just don't think that is what you would be called.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 3:27 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Nope and depending on the definition of pagan and of witch not all witches are pagan either, though generally they are considered such.
    A pagan can mean any belief out side of the Abrahamic faiths (Christianity, Judaism, Islam). It can refer to beliefs of aboriginal tribes, or not of monotheistic faiths(more than one god)
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:32 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Most see pagan as an umbrella term though and "witch" as a classification.Which fits a saying sort of like Not all Christians are Catholic but all Catholics are Christian.
    I would argue the whole idea of not being able to be a Christian witch but
    i'll let it go for now.
    Oh and witch can refer to a person that practices Wicca or a person that engages in "witchcraft" that uses spells, incantations, herbs, etc. For example using sage in a cleansing ritual.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:36 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• See, back in the first century Pagan originally meant simply a dweller in a rural community, but since those country people were often the last to be converted, it came to be used by city dwellers as applying to all who did not adopt their professed Christian beliefs. In a similar way the term “heathen” at first meant simply one who lived out on the “heath” or field.

so a Pagan can be anyone not following the God of the Bible whether they think of themselves as a Witch or no I believe.......
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 3:42 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Oh sorry I say no to all being witches part. I left that out.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 3:48 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Like Kristi say not all pagans are witches but witches are pagans
    I will be firm about this but there is no such thing as a Christian witch ever. You cannot serve Christ and do witch craft. It is spoken against in the bible as well.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 5:03 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Nope, not all are...obviously, since Pagan is often used as an umbrella term to describe all non-God of Abraham religions...
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 7:47 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• no.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:47 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I just want to compliment you who have taken the time to explain where the words came from and their original meanings. Many people today don't know how to use a dictionary to find the truth behind the words.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 8:45 AM on Mar. 25, 2010