Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

help army health ins??????

my sons father is in basic training and has been ordered to provide health ins for him how does the whole process work? ive been trying to look it up online but i cant find any info what i really want to know is how long will it take for him to get ins? will he get ins?(my ex said that the recuiter told him that my son doesnt qualify )

extra info
my ex is the the ncp of our 2 year old son
it is written in the court order that he must provide health ins.i'm responsible for co payments and any single medical cost of under 100.00
anything over 100.00 we split 50/50


Asked by Anonymous at 3:36 AM on Mar. 25, 2010 in Health

This question is closed.
Answers (8)
  • Oh - one last thing - since you already have a court order of support, I would contact the people at that site that I gave you (there are links for contacting them). I would do this instead of going through Children's Services. Basically, you will be dealing with the military directly, instead of waiting for another government service to contact them for you, then go through all the same things that I just told you.

    Again, good luck!

    Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:26 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

  • I am not positive but I dont think the insurance kicks in untill he finishes boot camp. then he will fill all the paperwork out and yes your son will be covered. As long as he is his son then he will get insurance...and you will not have to pay anything...maybe a copay sometimes but thats it. Good Luck

    Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 3:57 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

  • i asked this question
    will i need to fill anything out?will he need to see certain dr ?is it more like a ppo or hmo?can my ex elect to not cover him? (child support was ordered to begin in nov he when we were leaving court he told me that he was only going to make the minimum payments he went in because to quote him the state wont be able to do sh*t to me especially if i get stationed over seas he is almost 6000.00 behind and has to have it paid compleately in 30 months hes sign up for 6 years) i just don't know what to do when i called to get another court date (for an adjustment) cs services told me that he would have to be avail to attn the hearing and that it could take up to a year

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:21 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

  • My hubby is in the army. He needs to go to deers and put your son and you if you're married on his orders. If you or your son is not on his orders neither of you can get medical. It all depends on where you'll go to get seen and if there is a military base near by to see if you have a co payment or not. Make sure the father puts the baby on Tricare prime. Otherwise there will be a co payment. I hope I answered all you questions.

    Answer by Payan04 at 4:28 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

  • If HE doesn't pay you child support then if I needed finacial help then I'd go to my local Social Services and request TANIF. Since he's not paying any child support. He can have his license taken for not paying and also serve jail time if a judge sees fit. So run that by him!!!! It is his resposibility to take care of his child!! No just is gonna look at him to well for NOT taking care of HIS CHILD, no matter if he serves his country or not. HIS child is being neglected= BY HIM. I would think that a MAN would put his child and family first.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:46 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

  • PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PM me - I can tell you EXACTLY what to do to get your son's insurance and to get your money. Here's some of the info you need, but all of it is too much to try to put here.

    1) If you have established / proven that he is the father (and, as far as the military is concerned the fact that you have a court order of child support establishes legal patrimony), then he can NOT refuse your child military benefits. It's not HIM that is granting them - it's the US Military - and those benefits include but are not limited to health care.

    2) He can NOT refuse to pay you the child support that is ordered - and it doesn't matter where in the world he's stationed. If he is not paying it, then all you have to do is show a garnishment order, and the military will take the $ right out of his pay - no matter where he is.


    Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:12 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

  • cont Child support is NOT covered under the Soldiers and Sailors Relief Act, and, since the order was in place as of now, it doesn't matter if he's sent to a war zone or anything like that, it can still be garnished (now, if you were to try to change anything about it while he was in a combat zone, that's a different matter...) Go to this link - it's a link to the military's official pay website.

    3 - To get the health insurance, your ds has to be enrolled in DEERS.  The link will tell you how to go about getting enrolled in DEERS - EVEN without his (your ex's) help or even his permission (like I said - he CAN NOT withold this from his legal dependents). 



    Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:17 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

  • Cont -

    Here's the thing, too - DO THIS NOW - while he's in boot camp - because once you've gone to them to show the Army that he's the Dad, then to get the DEERS enrollment they are first going to try it "the nice way" and have him fill out the forms. If he refuses, they will counsel him and document it (a bad thing) in his record. Then, after they've done that, if he still won't sign it, then they will do it for him. (But - as my dh, who's been on Active Duty 19 1/2 yrs, btw, just said "you'd be surprised what he will sign from pushup position in boot camp - they won't play with him over this.")

    Once you have that enrollment, then your ds will get an ID card. That ID is what you need to enroll in Tricare - and you have a choice as to what sort of Tricare you want (I would do a search for Tricare and read about it). It's also good for United Concordia Dental and other things, btw.

    gl - pm me for more help if you want

    Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:22 AM on Mar. 25, 2010