teething at 2 months!

My son is teething. Hes always cranky and doesnt sleep well. I have tried tylenol and that does work for about two hours. I need something else to do between tylenol. I'm a first time mom and dont know much but he cant fit teething rings in his month. I have one small one but he doesnt like the taste of it, I dont think. If that makes any since. Ill try to numb his gums with it but he just sticks out his tounge really mean. :( I cant give him oragel because the nurses hotline said hes too young, he might swollow some and numb his thoat and make it hard to breath. So that makes me nervous! HELP ME! My poor boy... I hate that its happening so young. Dont they say to that the later you get teeth the better/stronger they will be? That makes me nervous too. (oh he will chew on my finger forever but there is only so long i can stand it)

Asked by kiansmom0423 at 7:54 PM on Jun. 26, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't worry about the old wives tale of later teeth being stronger. It's complete junk.

Put a wet wash cloth in the freezer and then let him chew on that.
    You can also get blankies with chew toy corners (ours was shaped like a starfish). Those are easier for tiny ones to hold.
    Frozen Otter Pops work well too. Just let him chew on the unopened tube.
    Get teething tablets. They help calm the baby down.
    Switch to baby motrin. It lasts twice as long as baby tylenol.
    Don't worry about not being able to use the baby orajel. It's junk and doesn't last very long anyway.

It will get better as he gets older - he'll be able to hold the toys better and he'll have experience with this type of pain.

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:45 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• I feel your pain hun. My son started teething at two months and then at three months had three teeth. He ended up having ALL of his teeth by the time he was 11 months old.

That aside, try looking at the store for Hylands Teething Tablets. They don't work for everyone it seems, but they did wonders with my son!

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 7:57 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• I agree...I didn't have the teething tabs w/ my own kids but now never have an empty bottle in the house w/ grandkids. The only thing is at night they keep some kids up. So if you would normnally give 2..only use one at night if that happens.
    My first cut his first tooth at 6 wks. from 4 months -24 months he had as many teeth as he was months old. By the time the youngest was born I was calling the Dr. frantic "my eight month old hasn't cut a tooth yet" He laughed and said '"the baby is the 'normal' one".
    Also, I used to take clean washcloths(not your good ones) get them wet and put them in a ziploc in the freezer. Both of my boys would gnaw on the washcloth until it was limp and warm.

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:10 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• They have oragel to brush on that Hunter has been loving:)

Answer by Huntersmom209 at 8:12 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• I feel your pain too. My 2nd child was born with 3 teeth through his gums! by the time he was 6 months he had 9 teeth! My first child didnt have a single tooth till a year and 4 days old. At 2 months he's too young to give him zyback toast and orajel is a NO NO at his age. Keep up tieh the tylenol or consult a child dentist. They might know what to do. Sorry I cant be of more help.

Answer by vbruno at 8:14 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• What about rotating between Ibuprofen and Tylenol? I know when my kids are sick, sick, that's what I do and I've been doing it for as long as I can remember.  I just don't remember if 2 months is to young for Ibuprofen.

By rotating between the two, one kicks in while the other is wearing off.... OF COURSE CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR FIRST...but that might be an option.

Answer by SAHMinIL at 8:24 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• I forgot to shouldn't give tylenol to a child under 2 unless you consult a doctor first...they even have warnings on most of the packages now after about a year ago when a lot of children were having side effects of overdose on tylenol. Motrin is fine for that age though :)

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 8:33 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• i agree with the cashcloth i dont medicate my kids soo i didn't do the tylonel stuff inless they had a fever we i agree its a wives tale we gave them distilled water and easier food and for the teething as well we let him sleep a lot and just sang to him

Answer by Patience1 at 4:34 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• wash cloth ohhh yea i forgot go to henrys and they have bunch of stuff for that

Answer by Patience1 at 4:36 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• my oldest came with his teeth showing in the gums he had the first one in at a month and a half and the second by the time he was three months old. i don't remember what i used but i've heard the earlier they get in the earlier they start losing their teeth. i think he was four when he started losing his teeth and those were the first two he lost. but i'll his teeth came in straight and even that the dentist thought they might have to pull some teeth to make room for his other teeth. they never had to and they came in straight and even. no braces for him. and he'll be 16 in 3 months.

Answer by dragonbabe at 7:56 AM on Jun. 27, 2008