how do i get my 10 month old to sleep?

She takes two naps during the day and goes to bed around 9. wakes up between 12-2Am fully awake and wanting to play and screams for over an hour before i am able to get her to go back to bed its been about 2 weeks and cant seem to break the habit.

Candyaddict093

Asked by Candyaddict093 at 5:31 AM on Mar. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Cut out a nap or make the naps shorter.

Answer by louise2 at 5:38 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Milestones (learning someting new), teething, growth spurts all cause night wakings. Is she hungry? Cutting teeth? Learned a new trick? What doyou mean by play...does she want cuddles or toys
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:33 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• She wants toys, and she is not hungry or teething and as by learning a new trick i dont quite know what you mean she is learning something new everyday.
    Candyaddict093

Answer by Candyaddict093 at 9:55 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Learning a new trick I think is meant to refer to right before learning to walk, making big leaps in language skills, etc- anything that is a big leap in development like that. Anyway, you may need to try and eliminate one of her naps and then put her to bed a little earlier since she will be more tired later. LIke try and delay the morning nap until as late as you can, hope she takes a good nap, then skip the afternoon nap and put her to bed sometime between 7-8. It might work. Or it might just be a phase. Could she be hungry? Have you tried feeding her at night, or giving a drink of water or something? At this age my DD still woke to eat at night sometimes. I know people say by then they don't need to eat at night but by my assessment she was hungry so I fed her and she would go right back to sleep and eventually grew out of this all on her own. I hope it passes soon and you get some rest!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 1:41 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• She's quite normal...and you're actually getting a good length of sleep there. Believe it or not. Don't let her scream for an hour...get to her within five minutes and settle her down. If you do this each time she will remember that yes, mom does listen to me...and she'll start sleeping better.

No lights, no toys. Just pat her back to sleep.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:41 PM on Mar. 25, 2010