Enforcement of "Don't ask don't tell" will be minimized

http://www.mercurynews.com/politics-government/ci_14751883?source=rss&nclick_check=1

This is brougt on by Defense Secretary Robert Gates, not just Obama or former President Clinton. Hopefully, more men and women would be encouraged to enlist.

Any opinions?

viridian

Asked by viridian at 8:47 AM on Mar. 25, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Once a "hot potato" always a "hot potato"
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:54 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• "Defense Secretary Robert Gates is expected to announce that the military will no longer investigate the sexual orientation of service members based on anonymous complaints, will restrict testimony from third parties, and will require high-ranking officers to review all cases, sources familiar with the changes said"

Complaints? I guess that once you become a member of the military you're no longer a civilian as some would say your rights are taking away. NO longer the rith for privacy.

Energ8zr

Answer by Energ8zr at 8:58 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Glad to hear even iif it is only temporary is paving the way to do what is right.
    and by the way op, thanks for being the only one with a common sense response to my threat question.

Answer by older at 9:06 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• They can make the policy, but that doesn't mean people will follow it. My husband is a Marine and he said he doesn't care if there's a policy, those people who do come out won't be too happy about doing so.
    mommyof2grls06

Answer by mommyof2grls06 at 9:21 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• My husband is also a Marine, and he works in an Infantry unit with two openly gay Marines who are not mistreated or ostracized in any way, shape or form. In fact my husband has said on several occasions he would have them at his flank than several of the other Marines in his company.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• This discriminatory policy should be dumoed NOW..

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:30 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• DUMPED

sweet-a-kins

• I think this is a small step in the right direction, but the right thing to do is completely eradicate the policy altogether and grant gay members of the military the respect and individual freedom they deserve.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 1:12 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I'm glad it's happening but it needs to be eradicated. And tot hose of you or your soldier counterparts taking crap or hating on the gay soldiers, they are dying for our freedom the same as straight people are. There are plenty of straight people to scared to go out there, but the gay people are proud to fight for us, even those of you who hate them. How sad is that? How pathetic are you who look down on someone willing to die for you?
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 1:46 PM on Mar. 25, 2010