For those on Pregnant Medicaid how many Ultrasounds were you allowed?

Im 10 weeks and with my DD they only allowed 1.... saying that was the limit. Which I know is bogus since 3-4 friends had 5 ultras apiece during their pregnancies. I was just curious and no bashing please. DH lost his job AFTER we found out I was pregnant and I had DD at 17 and was still on child medicaid.

And does it make a difference that last time i was on child medicaid and now im on pregnant medicaid?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:50 AM on Mar. 25, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Technically, only one ultrasound is medically necessary unless you are a high risk pregnancy- that is the one done between 17-20 weeks to determine health factors (the gender thing isn't the reason). They have become convenient and fun, but we don't know about medical affects on the fetus especially with repeated non-necessary ultrasounds- but the whole 5-6 unnecessary ultrasounds per pregnancy isn't required and is part of the reason medical costs are so high.

So no, it isn't about medicaid.
    reelo

Answer by reelo at 11:59 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• as many as are medically required.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:53 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• It depends on the doctor. If they do the ultrasound as part of their regular exam you get as many as they want to do. If not (most of them dont) then you usually get two. One at the begining to make sure everything is in the right place (baby not in your tubes and such) and one at around 20 weeks to measure the organs. If you happen to need more they will usually pay for more.
    Jjoneslagrange

Answer by Jjoneslagrange at 8:57 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• only one unless there are actual medical concerns about the health of you or the baby.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:02 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• and no, the type of mediciad shouldnt matter.....i wouldnt think. i was on medicaid as well.....and only had one. i was 24 when i was pregnant.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:04 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• so far i had 2, one when i first found out i was pregnant, another when i was 18 week and im having a boy :) !!! and now im 36 weeks and she give me another one when im 38 week to make sour the babys fliped
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:22 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I am 16 weeks and so far I have had 3, one I paid for, 2 medicaid did at two different doctor's offices. I switched doctors.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 9:27 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Toward the end of my pregnancy, I HAD to have an ultrasound every week to check the baby. I was a high risk category.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 9:37 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• You get as many as you need. Just bc ur on Medicaid doesn't mean you get less than one who isn't on Medicaid
    Keeely07

Answer by Keeely07 at 9:48 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• You get as many as are medically necessary; for a normal pregnancy it's usually one or two. I had one every week for the last month and a half, I think, to check growth and fluids.

preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 9:55 AM on Mar. 25, 2010