When did you have your first ultrasound/sonogram?

I'm asking because my SIL is "miscarrying" right now. She's about 14 weeks... And they just found out last week that there wasn't a heartbeat. She went to the Dr. yesterday to find out more, and was told that there never was a baby, just the sack. I'm pretty outraged at her Dr. and feel that if they had done the ultrasound earlier in the pregnancy then they could have caught this and before she suffered the mental/physical pain of losing her "pregnancy"...I mean she's already bought tons of baby things. With my DD, I was about 7-8 weeks when I had my first ultrasound, with this baby I had my first one yesterday at 9 wks 4 days. So I was just curious if other Drs. wait to do it, or if her Dr is just a quack!!!

wishwish

Asked by wishwish at 8:50 AM on Mar. 25, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Around 8 weeks for me. Although I know my sister's doctor didn't do one until she was around 18 weeks.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 9:00 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• at almost 7 to find out how far along I was.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 9:14 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I was 6 weeks. The early ultrasounds are for "dating" purposes. To make sure the EDD based on LMP is correct. If your sister was certain of her LMP the doc might have thought that an ultrasound was unnecessary. I'm sorry your sis has to go through this.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 9:55 AM on Mar. 25, 2010