Has anyone ever used the Playtex Pump?

A lot of people swear by the medela but it's so expensive. Anyone ever used the playtex pump? It's a lot less money and it looks a lot more comfortable.

karina400

Asked by karina400 at 8:57 AM on Mar. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• At the hospital nurses recommended to buy a pump at any drug story but I ended up returning it (sealed never use it). Hospitals have 'breastfeeding consultants" covered by insurance. The consultant not the nurse advised to use hands to pump milk. But if I had to work I would definitely get an electric pump.
    Energ8zr

Answer by Energ8zr at 9:06 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Get a Lansinoh pump if you don't want to invest in Medela or Avent. Any brand made by a bottle company will kill your nipples. The evenflo and playtex are ones to stay away from. The Lansinoh one isn't overly expensive and is just as good as Medela.
    mommyof2grls06

Answer by mommyof2grls06 at 9:12 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Platex is not a good pump. Unless you are working full time, you don't need a medela double electric. I work part time and the medela single electric workes well (it was about 60 dollars), but avent is also a good pump.     

Also watch this video to learn how to pump effectively and efficiently:   http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:48 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I use playtex pump and it works well for me . I stay home mom and breastfeed my son then pump after it, it work for me.
    hungluvphuong

Answer by hungluvphuong at 10:35 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I had much better results with a manual pump. Im going to buy the lansinoh pump for this one to take to the hospital!!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 11:09 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• It's possible to get just as much milk using hand expression as you do with a $300 Pump in Style. The World Health Organization recommends teaching mothers how to hand express rather than promoting pumps and making them think they need to buy one to breastfeed. To find instructions go to google and type in Marmet technique. You can use the massage of the Marmet technique before pumping to increase the amount you are able to pump.

I had 3 babies and I breastfed each over 2 years. I was a student while each of them were breastfeeding. I never had a pump and never missed having one. I was hospitalized once when my baby was a month old and I used the hospital pump and I didn't find it to be that great. I didn't want to rush out and rent one.

If you want a Pump in Style you can get them for $50 on craigslist or ebay and get new user parts.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:26 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I've seen a FEW moms have success with Playtex...but the vast majority do NOT...they wind up replacing it and spending as much as they would have on a Medela. Stay away, seriously.

If you're not working full time, then an Avent Isis is more than enough for your needs. As I recall you were hoping for an occasional nighttime feed. (And I maintain...do NOT plan to do this on a nightly basis unless you want a serious supply problem. Understand that this comes from ten years of advising breastfeeding moms...I've seen moms do this and end up on formula faster than they wanted to.)
    For occasional pumping the Isis is perfect and about $50. Or hand expression also works well.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:39 PM on Mar. 25, 2010