My 3 year old daughter has night terrors should i take her to the doctor?

She has had them for about 4 months now and we are all losing sleep. I feel helpless and really don't know what to do.

tiffany13728

Asked by tiffany13728 at 8:59 AM on Mar. 25, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My daughter wakes up screaming and sleep walks, she is now 11 and does not do it as much. The doctor said it is not night terrors, it is nightmares, stress. Which is strange you would think at that age they would not stress but they do.
    When her dad was going to Georgia for a week, the night before she woke up screaming and walked in her sleep. She has not done it since then, 2 weeks ago.

I suggest you call you peditrician and explain what is going on. They can let you know if it is terrors. I thought my daughter had them too. Good luck.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 9:12 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• You can take her to the doctor; they may be able to help. Lots of times, though, it's something a kid just has to grow out of. I had night terrors until I was in elementary school, then it was just nightmares, sleep walking, and sleep talking. If it's nightmares, you can help with that. If it's terrors, well, there's really no definite cause for those so there isn't a whole lot that can be done. If you have any questions about sleep walking/talking/terrors etc, feel free to pm me.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 9:50 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• My daughter has night terrors but the doctor said that some of what she was doing sounded like a seizure. So they sent her to get a sleep study to see if it was night terrors or seizures that she was having. Thankfully it was night terrors and she does not have them as often
    DjandEmmys

Answer by DjandEmmys at 5:37 PM on Mar. 25, 2010