poop question

Ok if I warm up my son bottle will that make him poop he only 5days old

kadmomma

Asked by kadmomma at 9:22 AM on Mar. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It really doesn't matter if the bottle is warm or cold. It won't help. Your LO is so young you should call your LO's Pediatrician and ask about the constipation maybe they will let you use a SMALL dose of Pedia-Lite,

MarrsBar211989

Answer by MarrsBar211989 at 9:32 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• No it won't. In fact it may be the formula you are giving him that's causing the constipation.Call your padi. and ask what you can do now and what formula they can recommend you try.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:39 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• My son had formula and his doctor said it was normal for him to poop only once a day. Breast fed babies tend to poop more often. I'm sure though that your baby might prefer warm formula to cold.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 9:50 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• In response to MomMom23, some BF babies poop daily (mine poop multiple times a day) but some poop once a week or even once every 10 days and all of those can be quite normal in BF babies because their little bodies use up all of the nutrients in breast milk where as most of the formula gets pooped back out because the nutrients aren't as easy to absorb. While formula babies usually poop daily, not all do. Unless your baby is uncomfortable, he is most likely not constipated. But, please do not give him anything other than breast milk or formula without speaking to your pediatrician. Also be sure you are mixes his formula correctly. It can be dangerous to mix it to strong or to weak.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:20 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I doubt it will make a difference. When did he last poop? Was it dry, hard pellets, or was it soft? What is he fed?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:11 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• In response to MomMom23, some BF babies poop daily (mine poop multiple times a day) but some poop once a week or even once every 10 days and all of those can be quite normal in BF babies because their little bodies use up all of the nutrients in breast milk where as most of the formula gets pooped back out because the nutrients aren't as easy to absorb.

While this is correct, this is normal and safe AFTER about 4--6 weeks of age. Before that, they should still be pooping a bit more frequently. After 4-6 weeks, I've heard up to about 14 days is ok, but the record in the breastfeeding moms group on here is 20 days I believe.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:13 AM on Mar. 25, 2010