how do people get rich?

im curious to know how people have gotten rich. of all the monetarily rich people you know, if ya do, how did they make their money?

hummm monetarily rich could be a realitive/subjective term..... you might want to let us know what you consider to be rich, again in monetary terms.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Mar. 25, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I read something somewhere that said that something like 90% of people with money come from parents with money. I know that is not always the case, for example, my brother is partner in a law firm and makes well over 300K a year, and we did not come from money....but I think most of the time it is.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• i would say it would come from parents...say if you were left a home or a large sum of money from a parents passing, or land.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:02 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• the 4 people who I know personally who have liquid assests from 3-10 million did NOT get it from parents but worked their butts off for it.
    1) sells corporate insurance
    2) built up a mail order company and sold it
    3) qualcom stock... was in upper management from the get go and got stock benifits
    4) has a company that sells the silly stuff you see on infomercials

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• The one's I know work for their money, invest it, and save it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Man do I wish that we had only about $3 Million... Just to pay off all of our bills, get about a $480,000 home, and pay off teh kids college education. Of course we would tithe, and give a little to our parents but man...!
    35yoamom

Answer by 35yoamom at 10:39 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• half of them got it from their parents, a fourth of them invented something great (Bill Gates/Steve Jobs) or sell something ppl have to buy, and the other fourth worked their butts off from the bottom up.

the only person i know who worked his way to being rich worked as a pizza delivery boy and moved up the line to eventually (30 years later) manage every pizza place of that chain in a big area.

but those who actually work hard for their money usually have to give up a lot of things...like family or time-off...so its not always worth being rich!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:41 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• My brother and his wife are so wealthy. They came from middle class . Definitely not the case with them.
    bella69147

Answer by bella69147 at 10:57 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• If you don't come from money, which is a huge percentage, you usually own your own business or invest. I know several people that in the boom of the stock market made millions. These people usually gain and loose small fortunes several times in their lifetime. Another way that I've seen is real estate. Either investing and flipping or investing over their whole lifetime in a new property every few years and now generate rental income. It's very easy to make a fortune it's very hard to keep it. After you've made your money you need to find people that can help you manage it and do the right things. Otherwise you're just going to be back in the same boat a few years down the road.
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 11:12 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Most of the time from family. Other than that, the only people I know are ones my family and DH have worked for and they got rich screwing over their employees and doing everything they could to cut costs. I have yet to know anyone who has gotten rich by doing honest work.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• If you're not talking about people who come from money or people who create/invent something really important, then it would have to be a combination of things. Probably first would be getting a good education in something where they can make a lot of money (doctor, lawyer, computers, business, etc.). Then it would be working their way up to a hefty salary. On top of that would be making wise money decisions. That would include not buying really expensive things, having 0 debt (paying cash), and living below their means early on. That might mean they don't have the biggest house they can afford, but they have a smaller house and keep the extra money. Lastly, I would say they make really smart investments.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 11:56 AM on Mar. 25, 2010