Sleep walking toddler?

My daughter will be 3 in October. She has night terrors here and there...Well, the other night, me and my fiance were up late, watching TV. Her room is RIGHT next to where we were. All of a sudden at 2am, we hear her start screaming. I go in her room and she was standing like 5 feet away from her bed (She's in a toddler bed, with the railing) standing up against a wall with her arms straight by her side just screaming. I called to her and she lifted her head, realized it was me and ran to me and clung to me. We know it had to have been sleep walking because for one..we would have heard if she had fallen out of her bed and she really couldn't have, and two, if she woke up afraid, she would have started screaming while still in her bed, she wouldn't have walked further into her room to scream instead of to the door. We have a little doggie door there too so she can look out at us, and she didn't. Is this normal? It scares me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Mar. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well i wouldnt call it normal, but normal for someone who has had night terrors. my son had them when he was younger about 3 or 4, he would wake up screaming sitting up and i would go and hold him and all he would say was " i want my mommy" all while looking at me and sitting in my lap! Its very scary indeed! Once he actually walked outside and almost made it to the neighbors house walking with his eyes closed! only advice i can give is to read happy books at night and dont watch any scary movies too close to bed time and assure her that you will alway be there and talk to you child in the morning about what happen.. my son is 20 now and has only had 1 recently since he was 4 years old.. I know its really scary to see and not really know what to do!
    Anonymous

• I used to sleep walk and still do.
    not sure about the night terrors-I don't think I have those.

my husband just tells me to go to bed, or tells me that he'll take care of whatever he finds me doing. (like the laundry)
    If she hasn't seen a doctor, you might consider it, though I doubt there is much to be done, and often it takes 1000s of dollars of test to tell you that-

If you want to do something, I personally would take her to someone for Chinese medicine- like acupuncture. Just like anything, make sure they are licensed and get references.
    for myeself, chinese medicine has much more results than western.
    good luck!
    Anonymous

• My children did that between 2 and 3.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 12:45 PM on Mar. 25, 2010