How do you call the police when you don't know their number?

What if you're driving in a strange town and you need to call the police. I know you dial 911 in case of emergency but what if it isn't an emergency? Is there a way to get the local police even if you don't know their number?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Mar. 25, 2010 in Travel

• 311 is the number for non-emergency police issues.

http://www.911dispatch.com/info/311_page.html for more info.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 2:09 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• IDK... I don't even know the non-emergency police number in my own town. On one occasion I saw something in traffic I did call 911 even though it wasn't an emergency and immediately asked to be transferred to a non-emergency number for the police department. That's all I can think of to do if you don't have access to a phone book, but if you have internet access, you can look it up in an onlice phonebook.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 10:27 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Could you call 411 and ask for the number?
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 10:39 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I think 511 is the highway patrol and if you call them I'm sure they can get you in touch with the right people. I'm not sure what you would want to call the police for while driving in a strange town that wasn't an emergency.
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 10:55 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Look it up before you go for each area you will be staying in then put it in your address book.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:51 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• you dial 411 and ask for the non emergency number for _________ town/city/county..... they will connect you for a small price (idk what it is - like under a dollar)
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:53 PM on Mar. 25, 2010