Volcano in Iceland

I don't know if there are more posts about this already, but what do you think? This video from Fox news (yes I know, it's Fox news) is informative, but I think the news anchor really over reacts. She's acting like this volcano will be the end of the world or something, when in all reality it would most likely just cause some global cooling and it normally erupts every 40-50 years or so without killing off the planet. It's overdue for eruption, and with the nearby volcano erupting, seismologists and scientists think this volcano may erupt again very soon. What are your thoughts on it? Posting the link below so it's clickable.

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 10:35 AM on Mar. 25, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Major overreaction. As though there isn't enough drama in the world already without people crying "end of the world"!
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 11:03 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 10:35 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• All the green stuff people are being told to do will not stop this or any other volcanic eruption anywhere. The plant will do what is always has done. It sucks but shit does happen.

I stayed and watched other video, they had some good one.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:03 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I can't go to the link, but it's a volcano, right? I live in WA state. We survived the eruption of Mt. St. Helens, and that was back in 1980. It was a major disaster for about two days, and a middling inconvenience for a few months. It wasn't the end of the world by any means.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 11:11 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• pagan momma we lived in Salt lake city in the eruption of MSH. We collected the ash in a jar.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 1:34 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I think the main concerns are being based off previous eruptions. this is what I got from the news article I found about it:

Iceland's Laki volcano erupted in 1783, freeing gases that turned into smog. The smog floated across the Jet Stream, changing weather patterns. Many died from gas poisoning in the British Isles. Crop production fell in western Europe. Famine spread. Some even linked the eruption, which helped fuel famine, to the French Revolution. Painters in the 18th century illustrated fiery sunsets in their works.

The winter of 1784 was also one of the longest and coldest on record in North America. New England reported a record stretch of below-zero temperatures and New Jersey reported record snow accumulation. The Mississippi River also reportedly froze in New Orleans.

So nothing that I can see that would be "world ending" like the anchor in the video seems to think, but definitely world wide effects.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:45 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• We're also in WA, in the shadow of Mt Rainier lol. I tell ya if that thing ever erupts again, I'll be evacuating lol.
    AprilDJC

• April. from what I hear on the Nat Geo programs and such, if Rainier ever blows again, it's gonna go west, towards Seattle and the coastline.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 3:37 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I'm in Lakewood, don't know where that puts us lol. I know when we got here they gave us a disaster preparedness packet with evacuation routes and all that.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:42 PM on Mar. 25, 2010