Constipated DD...Help!

My dd is almost 4 and constipated. Her stool is always hard, and she's afraid to poop in the potty. What can I do. She eats cereal for breakfast (Quaker Oats Oatmeal Squares-high in fiber). She drinks only water until her after nap snack, then it's juice. I've tried the "Little Tummies" laxative. But what else can I do?

I'm taking her to the doctor this afternoon. But I was just wondering what I can do if they tell me she's fine.

Kaydens_mommy06

Asked by Kaydens_mommy06 at 10:42 AM on Mar. 25, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

Level 1 (-8 Credits)
  • Colace stool softener. No laxative side effects. But I'm sure your pediatrician will recommend something.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:45 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• She can take Colace being only 4?
    Kaydens_mommy06

Answer by Kaydens_mommy06 at 10:46 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• My 2 year old gets constipated & this is what works for him. 4-6 oz of warmed (NOT HOT) apple juice. Warming the juice "wakes up" the enzymes in the juice. When it's cold, they're inactive/dormant & when it's heated to hot, it kills them. If the apple juice doesn't do it, then we repeat - only we spike it with a bit of warmed prune juice. He's NEVER held out against this!
    (FYI - this is what our chiropractor recommended to do & it works EVERY time)
    charity987

Answer by charity987 at 10:51 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Thanks! Charity987! I'll go to the store today and gets some of both juices! My SO thinks I'm nuts for taking her to the doctor over a dry, hard, black turd as he called it! Can't help but laugh, but I'm worried!
    Kaydens_mommy06

Answer by Kaydens_mommy06 at 10:53 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• be sure to feed her brown carbs and not white. look for oatmeal without chemicals for breakfast. reduce milk and dairy. increase veggies and whole fruits. be sure to drink water. juice may work to loosen things up for now, but does not need to have a regular place in her diet...lots of sugar and no fiber.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 12:01 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• apple-prune juice! warm it up too. They have it in the baby gerber section...
    Anonymous

• Cut out dairy, meat, simple grains, processed sugars.
    Build meals around vegetables, whole grains, legumes and fruits.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:54 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I took her to the dr today, they told me to put her on Myrilax and get her some Fiber Gummies. I started the myrilax when we got home, she pooped in the potty!!!!! (within an hr) I was so elated! I wanted to cry, I was so proud. But then... 15 mins later she wet her self! AHHHHH!!! LOL!
    Kaydens_mommy06

Answer by Kaydens_mommy06 at 11:09 PM on Mar. 25, 2010