At what point is your baby not a baby any more?

I know that most of us still consider our children and even adult children our babies, but when did you stop referring to them as a baby?

My 22 month old had her first hair cut last night. Going into it, I didn't think it would mean all that much; just the excitement of her first haircut. When she got done, I realized, "Wow, she looks like a big girl. She isn't even a baby any more." And I suddenly understood why so many parents cry during exciting times like these! :-(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Mar. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• when they started to walk
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 10:52 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• seriously? Never.... My DD is 8 & she is still my baby.

Her toddler-ness started to change into kid when she turned 4. It was a shocker...i miss those toddling days! I would take back those terrible two's anyday! Miss it so much!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:53 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• yeah when they start walking i dont thinkt hre babies anymore :< even tho i still think of him as one hes not : / hims a big boy
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 10:55 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• My DD is almost 4 and we still refer to her as "The baby"..well my mom and I do! lol.
    Kaydens_mommy06

Answer by Kaydens_mommy06 at 10:55 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• DH is STILL his momma's "Baby."

Drives me crazy. When DS starts riding on his own, he won't be a baby any more.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 10:58 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Never!! lol - my children are 22 yrs, 18 yrs and 16 months and they will always be my babies!!!
    PatriciaofMN

Answer by PatriciaofMN at 11:02 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• when they look t you in all seriousness and disgust and say"mama I not baby I big boy." lol always my babies...always.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 11:03 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• In my heart I say they are my babies forever. I tried to stop verbally referring to them as baby when they started walking. Tried but I haven't completely suceeded. Especially with my youngest because she is already walking and she is only 10 months. My son was almost 1 year when started walking so it was a little easier with him. They are growing so fast.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 11:05 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Never? My oldest stopped being the baby when our second was born. But, our second is now almost 2 and the ACTUAL baby is only 15 months and they are both still called "the babies" and my almost 6-year-old is "the big guy". I think though, after their 1st birthday all of mine have started to kind of pull away and stop being so needy in that sweet baby way.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 11:18 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• i didn't call my first two babies after they started walking...they were boys and i am a sahm, and i was afraid of raising whinpy boys (silly now that i look back on it) but my twins just turned 2, and i am trying very hard to stop calling them baby! we have a new baby coming in about 2 mos, so we will probably stop then :)
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:56 AM on Mar. 25, 2010