my poor baby :(

he has a cold and he can barely breathe so we have been tryin to suck out all the snot and doing the saline rinse and he SCREAMS bloody muder! i feel horrible because we live in an apt and im pretty sure the neighbors can hear and they probably think we are torturing him or something :( so i try not to do it as much when they are home but its hard in the middle of the night when he wakes up crying because he can't breathe, im takin him to the dr today...what can i do to help him besides suckin his nose, he get mad even when i wipe the snot away. and he has to drink his bottle by me pouring some in his mouth he can't even use a bottle or sippy. hes 11 months old btw!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Mar. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Are you asking a question? I realize you already feel bad, but why did you wait until it got this bad to take him to the doc? Stop worrying about pissy neighbors who think anything bad about you, kids get sick, kids cry, it happens.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• no hes only been sick since monday so its not really that long. i just thought it was a cold hes had one before when he was around 5 months old. plus im not sure what they will really even do. they didn't do anything last time but they said he had an ear infection....its tough because idk what they will do for him thats why i was holding off...but i think hes getting dehydrated he drank 20oz yesterday and 7 so far today
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Cool mist humidifier or a vaporizer. if you don't have either take him in by the bathtub and run the hot water so he can inhale the steam. Vicks has a vaporub lotion and vapobath for babies 6 months and older so you can get that. Have him sleep semi-upright and drink while he's semi-upright. And yeah if he's getting dehydrated go to the hospital and let them do IV fluids, antibiotics, and a breathing treatment. Their nasal aspirator is soooo much more effective anyway.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 11:03 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Cool Mist humidifier & vicks on the feet (under a pair of socks)...this helps big time! Of course, getting the snot out of the nose would be best, but believe me, I understand! My boys HATE the sucker!! Oh yeah, & the saline spray - keep that up!
    charity987

Answer by charity987 at 11:21 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Take him in the bathroom, shut the door and turn the shower on really hot. Sit in there with the steam for a little while. Also, giving him a warm bath might help. I also agree with having him sleep upright. You could let him sleep in his car seat or papasan chair a couple nights just to see if it helps relieve it.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 11:34 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• hold him in the shower with you and the steam will help his boogies come down. Humidifier work wonders. I kept mine on all day, not just at night. and make sure the area is closed so the vicks will stay in the room. My dds 11 months old and has the same symptoms as well...:-( its soo sad. Dr gave her a breathing treatment and that really helped. Saline drops help too
    mariisasmommy

Answer by mariisasmommy at 12:15 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I won't repeat the other great advice about steam, babyVicks, etc, but when my DD had this happen sometimes I just had to hold her upright in the middle of the night, like against my chest while I rocked her, so she could let some of that drainage come down. She seemed to get so clogged up when she layed down but getting upright for 15 minutes or so helped get her some relief and then she could lay back down in her crib for a couple hours, she would fuss and I would come back and hold her again for a bit. Not great for the sleep but it helped her stay more comfortable.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 12:37 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Let the baby drink by cup and feed liquid foods the baby likes.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:17 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• OP here. back from dr. he has an ear infection and hes now on breathing treatments for the next 48hrs because hes wheezing :( my poor baby..thankfully hes finally eatin about 21oz today already :) so thats good
    Anonymous

• Yep ear infections suck. Doesn't take much to do it either. Good thing for the breathing treatments too. Antibiotic?? Good luck getting thru the next couple of days, but at least he's on the way to feeling better.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:49 PM on Mar. 25, 2010