what would you do if your child told you they wanted to drop out of school?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Mar. 25, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• depends on what the reason was for?
    if its jsut cause they dont feel like it then too bad'
    but like my bil just dropped out of school when he was 18 cause he was like 2 grades behind and joined the nation guard and is getting his ged that way b4 he goes active army. we all kinda figured he was gonna drop out as soon as he was able to tho;
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Laugh and tell them nice try but a lot of states have made it a law that kids can't drop out until they're 18 and if we don't live in one already we're moving there. Then point out that people that don't go to college these days have little hope for the future so can only imagine what the future holds for them. Not to mention that this is the last free bit of education they will get in their lives and to soak it while they can because knowledge is power and even if you are pretty as a picture your options will be severely limited.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I'd ask how they planned on paying the rent I'd be starting ot charge. Free room and board is for teenagers who FINISH school.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• well anything I could to show them what life can be like...I think I would stall for time, take your child to the unemployment office, have them speak with someone who s ees people who are jobless day ina nd day out. Ask around about the types of jobs a high school drop out gets, how much less or how impossible it is really. This job market is hard for those of us who went to college, let alone someone who is a drop out. heck I would even have my teen serve a day at a homeless shelter soup kitchen, anything to try to jar them back to reality. counseling...talk with teachers...whatever it took really. good luck.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 11:00 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Well if they had a plan to get their GED and start college I would be fine with it. But just to drop out because they were bored or didn't like school, then I would be kicking their ass.
    So I guess it depends on the reason and what their plan was. My friend in HS floundered in school, she hated it. At 16 she got her GED and started college. By the time she was 19 she had one bachelors degree and was working on a second one. She flourished in college, because there were less rules. You had to be accountable for yourself and not follow ridiculous rules.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:01 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I would ask Why? and just sit down and have a long talk about their future and what dreams they have and are they going to make those dreams come true. Getting out of high school early is not always a bad idea. They can start college early or a trade school.
    They would have to do something and sit around thinking about what party to go to.

YOU KNOW your child are they lazy or do they pride in their work?

gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:10 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Continue their education at home and make them get a part time job.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I agree with anon 1112- or adult education, or a GED.Kids don't do well or dislike HS for many reasons.I was on home bound for my sophomore year for a medical problem and when I was getting ready to graduate the guidance counselor looked over my records and didn't understand it- my scores showed a BIG improvement over my sophomore year.So much that he said that It was questioned if I had cheated.(I had not)I didn't show that much progress over the next few years.He himself told me that I probably should have just dropped out and kept up with it! that the proof was in the pudding-that i was making all these great advancements at home that all stopped when I returned to high school!

I'd have him/her get a part time job, but realize that as much as our society would like to make us think that if you don't attend school 'the regular way' that your life is over.
    trust me, it's not!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I'd ask for his/her new address and work phone. If you're not in school, you're not living here.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 12:06 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• My 22yo dropped out high school the day after he turned 18. I knew he was doing it because he moved out (his choice, we didn't kick him out) the day he turned 18 (he knew that living here was not going to be an option if he dropped out). It broke my heart. His older brother and younger brothers all went to college or will be going to college (graduates in May).
    Anonymous