did your chubby baby turn out to be overweight?

the only reason i'm asking is because my baby was 8.8 at birth. she is very healthy and a little chubby. evryone i see seems to make their stupid rude comment that she is chubby and that i must feed her well. some go as far as telling me to watch out, she may turn out to be overweight. she is five months old now and weighs around 16lbs.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Mar. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son was 11 pounds at birth and was pretty chubby until about 1 years old when he started to walk, now he is an active 4 year old and is average
    awelling

Answer by awelling at 11:47 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• as long as you're not over feeding, feeding food to early to them, they'll be fine. my ds was 10 5 at birth, but he was tall too. he wasn't chubby, until a couple months before he started walking i noticed a little weight on him. he learned to walk and run within a week and lost it all. he's average now. dd, wasn't chubby when she was born, she was 8 2. she started getting a little chubby at 8 months, but became more active, not walking, but more active and started losing some. now she's 19 months and just started walking about a month ago. she's getting better, but she's average.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Nope, my first dd was 9 pounds at birth, she stayed chunky until she was over a year old, now she is 5 and super skinny. My second dd was 4lbs 6 oz at birth, by 3 months she was a chunk! she stayed chunky until after a year too, now she is 3 and she is not to skinny but not chubby. My 3rd dd was 6lbs 2 oz at birth, she is 10 months now, and had always been chunky! She is healthy and I don't think or worry about her staying chunky. Just feed them good food and not a bunch of junk and it should be fine!
    Anonymous

• My 6 yr old (pics on my page) was 29 lbs at 6 months... LOL. Now he is 6 and 56lbs. Big for his age, but skiiiiiiinny! Don't worry about what others say. Just feed your baby right and stay active with him/her. It will be fine.
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 12:13 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• My son is built like a tank due to his structure, but as far as weight he is lean. He was a chunky baby and he wasn't really a hardy eater. Most babies naturally gain a lot of weight through the first months. That isn't because we over feed them (generally speaking, can't say that for all mothers). My son grew out of his chubbiness and he is tall and lean now. My daughter is a chunker too, and at five months is already starting to lean out. Just keep your child active. This goes for skinny babies to the chubbiest of babies. It is important to keep them active, because that will help them maintain a healthy weight. Don't over feed, and it sounds like you're not, and don't use food as a way to comfort her. Introducing food as a comfort can lead to overeating, which leads to obesiety in children.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:14 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• My 9 lb baby is very tiny now at 6
    Anonymous

• My boys are 18, 20 & 27. The oldest was a skinny baby & toddler, the younger 2 were chubby babies, & average size toddlers. They all had stages when they got a little "chubbier", then usually had a growth spurt & grew into the weight. As adults, they younger 2 are fairly lean, the 18 year old weighs about 155 lbs, & I don't know the 20 year old's weight, but close to his brother. The oldest was leaner, but has struggled with his weight since managing a restaurant.

I think sometimes we cause weight problems by focusing on their weight as a child. It's important to monitor their weight, but more important is to feed them healthy foods, allow some treats, & make sure they get plenty of exercise. I limited my boys video game & tv time when they were younger. They'd usually save it for night, or rainy days, & go outside & play because they knew they only had so much game time. Unless your doctor is concerned, I'd ignore others!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:31 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I got sooo sick of those coments! My son was huge...but were big in our families...he wasnt over fed..just a big chunky baby..and he crawled late! But hes been nearly off the charts since he was about 4 months old and is only just now coming back down! but he was off the charts for weight and height! Keep them eating healthy and let them play as much as they want and youll be fine! Not every baby is going to be the same size!! (i wish gerber realized that and would readjust their sizing accordingly)
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 12:31 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• My 9 pound baby girl is still quite chubby at 6. I worry about her. She has always been completely off the charts in both height and weight. More so in weight though.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:58 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• That's nothing. My oldest was always around the 90th percentile for weight, and now at 8 years old she's between the 40-50th percentile. My 2nd was always right around the 50th, from birth to her almost 7 years. My 3rd was always a little under the 50th and is now around the 60th at almost 5. Little babies are supposed to be a little chubby, and it has nothing at all to do with how they'll be later on - unless it's genetic ;). Don't worry about it, when someone makes a comment you don't like let it roll of your back. Or say soemthign like "what's your excuse?" ;).
    Anonymous