Does your child bang their head??!!

My one and a half year old always bangs her head... Not out of anger, but if shes tired and in her high chair she rocks back and forth banging the back of her head on the chair. She also does it in the car seat and swing. Im afraid its going to hurt her but shes been doing this for a long time and id think if it actually hurt then she.wouldnt do it. Anyone else have a child thay does this just because, not from anger...?

Keaton_Hazel

Asked by Keaton_Hazel at 11:49 AM on Mar. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• yep. it's totally normal at that age.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:51 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• It's quite common actually. When my son would get mad he'd walk over to a wall and throw himself against it. Then bang his head, not hard actually, against the wall. I luckily discouraged him from doing that pretty easily. When he's in his high chair or carseat, he'll throw himself several times against it. Especially if he's tired. In the high chair if I'm not preparing his meal fast enough he'll do it. Little bugger is quite impatient, but he realizes quickly that he'll get his food when it's ready.

Just discourage her from doing it. Let her know that she could really hurt herself and that it's not a good way to release her emotions.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:06 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• My 3yr old thinks banging his head against the car seat is hilarious. Don't know why... but he's 3 :)
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 12:12 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• my son did it for a while around this age, like it was a cool sound or almost weird enough relaxed him, it stopped though. then it came back before he started talking clear enough so it was happening out of frustration.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:37 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Yes, my children did it too...until they did it hard enough on our carpet covered concrete floor and decided it wasn't fun anymore.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 12:43 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Very normal.. she's just bored or its a fun game
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 12:57 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• My son does sometimes. For him, it's a frustration thing - he's a little behind on language skills and he'll start banging his head against things when he can't make us understand what he's asking for.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 12:58 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• My daughter doesn't bang her head against anything, she will smack herself on the forehead or pull on her hair when she is frustrated or angry.
    PatriciaofMN

Answer by PatriciaofMN at 2:38 PM on Mar. 25, 2010