Mary magdalene?

Who was she? What does your faith believe? What have you learned about her or been taught by your church? Is she important, why or why not?

momofkearra

Asked by momofkearra at 12:15 PM on Mar. 25, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Generally she isn't recognized by Pagan Faiths any more than Jesus or any other Christian figure is... However, because I do believe Jesus (the man) existed, I also believe in Mary. For me there is proof of this, in a great many places outside of generally accepted Christian beliefs. In fact one of the scrolls found at Nag Hammndi was written by a woman, who was most likely Mary, and it is called the Gospel of Mary. There is also some proof of her existence in France, and possibly even a body (of her and Jesus) there. But the tomb has been sealed off for obvious reasons.

From the research I have done Mary was not only a female follower but the wife of Jesus and mother to his daughter Sarah. For me that in itself is of great importance. But if nothing else she shows that women even in that time period could be independent and strong. We often relate women of that time as submissive or weak - her story shows different.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:25 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Yes she is important because she was a disciple of Jesus. She was the first to witness his resurrection

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 12:22 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• She was a close confidant of Jesus. Has anyone ever read the Gospel of Mary?
    Anonymous

• Why thank you everyone! Sabrina could you possibly tell us where you've found information about Jesus being married and having children? I've been curious about that for awhile.
    Also, if anyone can send a link to where we can find or read the Gospel of Mary I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks so much!
    momofkearra

Answer by momofkearra at 12:39 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Anonymous

• Sure...

I believe this is the link for the Gospel... If not I have another... http://reluctant-messenger.com/gospel-magdalene.htm

And I would have to get some sources together for you as far as reliable information, it's been a while since I did all that and don't have it all at my finger tips. But here is an article you may be interested in for a start... http://www.llewellyn.com/journal/article/659

I'll try to get some others together for you too...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:46 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Thank you all SO much! I'm so glad that I asked about this here.
    momofkearra

Answer by momofkearra at 12:59 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Thank you anon for giving to the link to the gospel of Mary, they are beautiful verses.

I'm curious SebrinaM what is the most convincing evidence you've discovered that Jesus and Mary M. Married?

I just find the topic interesting, it doesn't change who Jesus is regardless if he married or not, but It isn't mentioned in any of the Gospels that Jesus Marries, it seems like this would be mentioned especially in Marys own Gospel. On the other hand Jewish men of Jesus age would almost surely have married by then. Any theories as to why their marriage isn't mentioned if they were in fact married?

And thank for the link to the article, I haven't had a chance to read it all yet, but it looks intesting, I'll read it tonight.

http://www.llewellyn.com/journal/article/659

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 2:10 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• If JC is "god incarnate" then MM must logically be "goddess incarnate".

But then again, "logic" and "Christianity" are not good bedfellows.
    Anonymous

• to me MM had to be someone of importance to Jesus (be it close friend or wife) otherwise she would have been left out of the Bible completely (as most women were). she saw the crucifixion, she visited the tomb, and she was of the first to be told of Jesus' resurrection. she is important and i think the early churches feared her b/c of her powerful standing despite her gender. why else would she have been given the reputation of being a prostitute, when the best proof for that is speculation of a very popular name.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:14 PM on Mar. 25, 2010