Are period dates accurate? or are the ultrasounds?

I had an ultrasound a couple weeks ago at ''apparently''12weeks pregnant. When I went in, right away she said I was too early, and that I'm only 9 weeks.
I dont understand this, because I've been on birth control right away after my 1st pregnancy with my son. And only had the 1 period on December 24th after being off of it.

Are period dates accurate? or are the ultrasounds? Im so confused, and really sad about this because now I feel as though I've lost 3 weeks of waiting..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:20 PM on Mar. 25, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Ultrasounds are usually very accurate if given around 8 weeks or earlier. Periods can vary by quite a bit and unless you are CERTAIN of when you ovulated then you can't accurately use the date of your LMP.
    Anonymous

• MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 12:29 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• since you had JUST come off the birth control, your cycle could have been very irregular, that happened to me. it took several months to go back to normal.

w both of my pregnancies, the ultrasound matched the date of my period exactly, but its normal for there to be a discrepency of a few days, even a week bc all babies grow differently.

since yours was off by 3 weeks, i would go by the ultrasound. when it comes down to it, baby will come when baby comes. its juast an estimate anyway.
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 12:48 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• 38 weeks from conception is the most accurate

Answer by rkoloms at 5:46 PM on Mar. 25, 2010