Why the sudden fits at bedtime and nap time?!

My 2 year old is usually fine when I put him to sleep. He lays down, grabs his elmo, and goes to sleep without much fussing at all. Monday he went to my mother in laws for the day and every since he got back every single time I put him to bed he throws huge fits. High pitched screaming, crying, stomping, the works. This has been going on the past 3 days and I can't take it anymore. These fits last anywhere from 5 minutes to about 45 minutes (or longer) depending on how tired he is. It stops when he finally goes to sleep. Nothing I do soothes him. Not patting his back, not talking to him, not picking him up, nothing. So, I leave him there to scream and feel horrible about it. Any idea why the sudden change?! Thanks!

Krystal.Ingalls

Asked by Krystal.Ingalls at 12:43 PM on Mar. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• because he's 2...that's all there is too it. what you're doing is fine.
    Anonymous

• my daughter started that when she was about 2 1/2...now she doesn't take naps and goes to bed at 7pm everynight. before with a nap, she'd go to bed at 9. So maybe he doesn't need a nap anymore? That's what has worked best for our family at least!
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 12:49 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Monster hunt! Most likely, he thinks he's seeing something in the dark corners of his room. It could also be the changes in his routine. We just got back from a vacation and it's taken a week and a half to get my two year old back on his schedule without too much fighting.
    About the monsters though, you can handle that a few different ways. We have a bead curtain over my son's door that "catches scary things so they can't get in." I have him look under all the furniture to make sure nothing snuck in, before naps and bed time. And if it's a rough night, my husband comes in, bangs around in the closet for awhile, and sends the monsters away. Our son thinks that's hilarious.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 1:02 PM on Mar. 25, 2010