How can I get my 5 year-old to stop wetting at night?

maliasmom2009

Asked by maliasmom2009 at 1:02 PM on Mar. 25, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Take away drinks 2 hours before bedtime. Make sure the kid pees before bed. Some extremists will wake a kid a couple times a night to pee. My solution, since some kids just can't hold their bladder no matter what - get the night-time pants for older kids (Good Nights? not sure who makes them, but they're by the diapers/pull-ups, but they're styled for older/bigger kids).
    Anonymous

• Whatever you do don't spank or scold for this. My 6yr old did that till he was 5yr old and it stoped being a nightly thing and now he just does it when he is overly tired. which is mybe 1 time a month. What i did was tell him it is ok and that i understand, i clean him up and i put him back to bed. If you yell he will do it out of fear, i did make the mistake at yelling once bfore i understood that this is from a immature bladder trying to catch up and not because he means it. He will grow outta it
    dkej242

Answer by dkej242 at 1:06 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• You can't. You can monitor what he drinks at night, but his body is simply not ready. There is nothing you can do but use pull ups. I know you don't want to hear this, but my son was 14. We tried EVERYTHING. The alarm (actually helped a little), pills (made him dehydrated during the day, we took him during the night (This was all me, if I got there in time he was dry, if I didn't he was wet. It didn't change him at all.) Good luck to you. My advice - buy rubber sheets and use Goodnights.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:07 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Talk with her doctor. Bedwetting is sometimes, or most of the time, genetic.

Answer by Bmat at 1:10 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Some kids don't stop until they are older. At 5 I wouldn't worry just yet. Some just have smaller immature bladders while others just sleep really deep. Do try to limit his fluids at night it can help. The good nights are good but pampers have a newer kind that look underwear so you can't tell they are using them. If he's still having this problem in two to three years then call your Doctor. My 10 yo has a medical condition and bed wetting is just one of the many things that he has to deal with so we just go with the night time pull ups. It's better then him fretting over peeing the bed.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 1:18 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• everynight for about a week, wake him up in the middle of the night to go potty, he will get used to waking up to pee and start doing it on his own
    Laura_Cruz

Answer by Laura_Cruz at 1:42 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Is this a boy? Boys tend to develop this involuntary control later. My son finally stopped wetting at night at 5.5 years--all the sudden he just stopped. He does have the occasional accident, but that seems to be when we have late dinners. My 4yo was night trained by 3yo and night accidents for her are very rare.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 2:23 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• My son was around nine before it stopped for him. I agree with what MomPam said, Pull-ups and bed liners until his or her body is ready. The more matter-of-fact you are that just happens for some people, and the less big fuss is made, the easier it will be to cope without lasting damage. My kid is nearly 18 now and doesn't even really remember this was ever an issue, because we didn't make it one. Another thing that helps is to teach them how to change the pad or the sheets themselves and just go back to bed, or to strip the bed and then have a back-up quilt the child can spread out and "camp" on til morning. Some kids benefit greatly from this self-sufficiency, instead of having to wake mom and dad because it happened "again."
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 3:51 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Speak with your doctor, but most of the advice is "they will out grow it." Our pediatrician said there was medicine ds could take short term like on vacation. Out of 4 children only 1 had issues until he was almost 9yo, he slept so sound he did not wake up even when he wet the bed until morning. The best advice I was given was to give it time, yes it is irritating, but it will be outgrown as long as there are no underlying medical problems.

mom-2-4boys

Answer by mom-2-4boys at 5:34 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Our doctor also said she wouldn't address it until they were 8 or 9. My oldest who is 9 still has the occasional accident but it is directly related to her blood sugar. If it's higher, she wets. My six year old rarely has accidents but it does still happen. Both girls. my 3 year old boy isn't potty trained fully yet. He has his good days and his bad.

I don't take drinks away at any time, myself. This isn't a train of thought that I agree with. But definately pee right before bed.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 10:52 PM on Mar. 25, 2010