How do I get my 1 year old to sleep through the night?

My 1 year old gets up about 4 times a night. I don't give him bottles during the night any more and it's easy to get him back to sleep until about 3:00am when it all falls apart. I've tried rocking, the crying out method etc and nothing seems to work. He's been having 2 naps a day since he's officially up by 5:30am. Do I only let him have 1 nap? Any advice would be most appreciated. I'm exhausted!!!!!

KerryR2009

Asked by KerryR2009 at 1:05 PM on Mar. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• he's 1 and still taking 2 naps? both my kids had migrated to one long nap by 9 months. try doing the one nap a day thing, also when he cries do you rush in there? sometimes kids wake up and cry for a little bit, just let him cry for a little bit before you go in there. he may just put himself back to sleep.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 1:08 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Don't go in his room. He will get used to putting himself to sleep on his own. My daughter is 1 and if she wakes during the night, I never go in unless she's all out crying or up for more than 5 mins. A lot of times she just screams out once and then goes back to sleep. If i go in her room to try to comfort her, it usually makes things much worse!
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 1:23 PM on Mar. 25, 2010