when can a baby be put in a sling?

I got a sling for my baby shower and I've heard you don't put infants in them. Btw, my baby is not here yet(but soon-almost 38 weeks).

tickled_pink09

Asked by tickled_pink09 at 1:11 PM on Mar. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• In a well-fitting sling used properly? Any time after birth!

And for the person who somehow thinks that women who use slings don't hold their babies and don't cherish and value the importance of skin-to-skin contact -- you seem to have some strange assumptions about babywearing that has nothing to do with the reality of carrying your baby in a soft carrier. Either do more research, broaden your paradigm, or STOP talking about that which you know obviously next to nothing about.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 1:20 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• no idea, never used them. but make sure the one you have isn't the one that's recalled. after seeing that on the news and seeing the new mommy's face, i can't see how anyone would ever want to use a sling ever again for fear of the same thing. it's supposed to keep the baby close to mommy and all, but it ended up suffocated her child and he passed away. that poor woman, i wouldn't have been able to live with myself if my child had died while attached to me...
    Anonymous

• Why use the sling? The close contact with a parent without the sling is alot safer. Just had a recall on one that was dangerous. I just don't understand the laziness of parents who don't want to hold a child. Its like the use of walkers. Watch your child and let them learn to walk. It goes so much quicker and safer. And the use of swings. It has a negative effect on a child's brain. Its just easier I guess to stick a kid in something and not meet their needs.
    Anonymous

• I used the Bjorn at 2 weeks.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:15 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• asap! My daughter was obsessed with me when she was born till about 4 mos. I had to wear her in a sling non-stop.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 1:17 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I do not plan on only using a sling. I dont' feel that I am going to be a lazy parent. Of course I will hold my child....nice assumptions.
    tickled_pink09

Answer by tickled_pink09 at 1:17 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I used a moby style wrap from birth, and a ring sling from say, 15 lbs on, but that's just me. What kind of sling did you get? Many people use ring and peanut style slings from birth, but the bag style ones, like the infantino, are unsafe and have been recalled.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:20 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• To the poster who asked why to use a sling, here are my answers. To get things done around the house, you still have both your arms and hands free with a sling, in place of a stroller they are great for walks, etc, and if you go on walks with the baby in a sling/wrap, it's more exercise for mom. Plenty of reasons. If sitting, sure, just hold the baby, but when you have things to do and a baby that wants to be held, the slings and wraps are invaluable.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:22 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• You can use a sling from birth. Many more babies die in cribs, swings, and infant seats than have died in slings. There are plenty of safe slings and wraps. It's not safer to just hold your baby when you are holding the baby for many hours a day.

There are many benefits of wearing your baby.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:49 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• You can use them from birth. Check out all of the info at BABYWEARING

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:56 PM on Mar. 25, 2010