How much do you spend on birthday presents for your child's classmates?

My son is 3, soon to be 4. He goes to a private preschool and all the kids in his class are the same age. In fact they are so close in age they are all having their 4th birthday parties within the next few weeks. We've never been invited to a classmates party before and suddenly we have 5 parties (including my son's party) during the next 3 weekends. Two of these boys he is very close too, but he doesn't play much with the other two. I have no idea how much I should spend on his classmates presents and unfortunately my son's birthday is the last of the 5 parties so I can't use the gifts he receives as a clue.

How much do you spend without appearing too cheap or too extravagant?

Linds2Horse

Asked by Linds2Horse at 1:16 PM on Mar. 25, 2010 in Shopping

• $20-$25 is good.
    Anonymous

• I try to not go over $20. You can get a batmobile or character pajamas for not too much money.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:26 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• you can get something nice at walmart for ten.. geez they are selling the ball/bat combo for $4 .. my point is kids don't care how much you spend only about the gift.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 1:29 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• BizRate.com ; toys.about.com/od/toyreviews/tp/CheapToys.htm ;
    www.designergifts.com/gifts-under-10.html ; www.dollarstorestyle.com/giftsundertendollars.html

these are websites for gifts ten dollars or less
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 1:33 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• 15 - 20
    Laura_Cruz

Answer by Laura_Cruz at 1:39 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• we usually spend about $20. lately i look at the clearance toy section...as i get more and more kids into the birthday thing, i think i might start stocking up! right now the tommy 20 (like an automatic nerf gun) is 1/2 off at target. my boys love their nerf battles!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:01 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I will spend around $20 to $30, but I have two children attending the parties. If I had one child I'd probably try to keep it between $10 and $15. I would also consider skipping some of the parties.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:52 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Twenty dollars for his really good friends and Ten dollars for his other "friends" is my what I do otherwise I would be broke because all of my DS classmates birthdays are all clumped together also makes it tough.
    Anonymous

• Thanks everyone for your input. I asked a coworker and she said she buys coloring books and crayons at the dollar store and that seem way to cheap. I was thinking $20 also. Thanks!
    Linds2Horse

Answer by Linds2Horse at 5:50 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I usually try to spend whatever it costs to have my child at the birthday, especially if it's somewhere entertaining. DD is going to a birthday party for one of her friends and it will cost about $25 to have her there, so I will at least spend $25.00.

Anonymous