I'm tired of it

I'm so tired of making the same thing for lunch every day for my kids. it's almost always peanut butter sandwiches (they don't like the jelly) or chicken nuggets. they don't like noodles, they have to be in the mood for grilled cheese...i'm at a loss. my 1yr old isn't as picky as my recent 3yr old, today i made pizza with english muffins, she ate the sauce and the cheese, but refused to eat the EM. she's not a fan of bread, but she'll eat it if she has to. ds didn't eat it at all. dinner is easier, i cook whatever and put it in front of them, if they eat, they eat, if not then oh well. i try not to do this for lunch so they'll have SOMETHING that day (they do always eat breakfast) but i'm at a loss. why is lunch the hardest meal to cook for? (oh and ds is so picky, he refuses to eat chick- fil- a chicken nuggets cuz they don't look like "normal" nuggets. uuggghhh) any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:46 PM on Mar. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son is 1 1/2 and rarely eats. I put extra vitamins in his milk and am hoping this will pass soon.
    Anonymous

• my kids are like this too...Whatever I give them, if they eat it they eat it, if they don't they don't. Don't feed your daughter bread if she doesn't care for it...just give her the meat and cheese to a sandwhich if possible then some fruit. Same with the other guys.
    Anonymous

• if you only give them pb sandwiches that is all they will eat, I make meals and if my kids don't eat they have to wait until the next meal or snack
    awelling

Answer by awelling at 1:53 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Dd does this at dinner time but I think it's because we eat dinner early and she's still full from lunch and a small snack. I've been cutting out snacks after lunch and then dd eats whatever I give her for dinner so she goes to bed with a full tummy! I guess if they aren't that hungry they are a LOT pickier!!! Of course, if dd doesn't eat what I give her, she doesn't eat until the next available meal and sometimes we save what she was supposed to eat and have her eat it later which she always does.
    Anonymous

• My son would not eat any nuggets. He refused to eat chicken without a bone in it. He would eat homemade cut up boneless chicken. He also wouldn't eat potatoes of any kind(even french fries), mac and cheese...basically, kid food. Thank goodness.
    I made him real meats, different veggies(like baked sweet potatoes, mixed veggies) and a fruit. I also made vegtable beef soup(homemade), chicken pot pie with lots of veggies(homemade). I bought and cooked specifically for his lunches. Even bought ground beef (separated into portions, made into patties and frozen), I could take one out, thaw it, cook it up and have a side of frozen mixed veggies. He was set. Quick and easy and better than "kid foods".
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:37 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• If you dont stop this now, you will be making 3 separate meals at dinner when they are older. Your kitchen isnt a restaurant. You fix what ever you want to and put it on the table. If they dont eat it let them go hungry. They wont die and they will eat when they get hungry enough. I told my son .."you dont have to eat this, but you can have spinach for breakfast in the morning." So that's what i served him. He gobbled up his lunch with no problem since he skipped dinner and breakfast.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 3:32 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I have a huge list of lunch ideas that I would be happy to share with you. Send me a message offlist if you would like a copy.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:37 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Do the kids like pasta? You might try making alphabet pasta or curly pasta (something fun) and mixed veggies with some seasonings they like. You can also try giving them leftovers from dinner the night before. Try a veggie lasagna or spaghetti or casseroles. My son doesn't like meat unless it is ground, so we have a lot of ground turkey. Fish is hit or miss, we just keep trying.
    Also, you might try the cookbook, Deceptively Delicious. I use the veggie purees in almost everything, like cauliflower, spinach, sweet potato and butternut squash.
    Do you get Parents or Parenting magazines? They often have toddler-friendly recipes you might try.
    Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 8:58 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Remember, ultimately, if they're hungry, they'll eat what's in front of them. If you feed into the pickiness, they will just get more picky. Keep at it with new foods, and eventually they will eat them. It can take 10 or more tries with a new food for someone to like it. You can also try serving new foods mixed with a favorite. Like adding bananas to the peanut butter sandwiches or something.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 9:01 PM on Mar. 25, 2010