i know that autism doesnt go away is not cureable,but i've heard of some people that were dignosted with the disorder when they were little kids and now they're pecfecly fine not showing any sign of autism.is it possible??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:55 PM on Mar. 25, 2010 in Health

• Yes some people say their kids have been cured through diet and intense therapy.
    Anonymous

• Yes. If you can find it online, watch "Temple Grandin" its a movie about a woman with autism who goes to college and gets her doctorate and ends up not showing any signs of autism but she's still autistic. True story. Good movie.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 2:00 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• its because so many kids are falsely diagnosed
    Anonymous

• Some people were also forced to live as normal kids and over time adjusted. They are not completely normal, but they can cope more than before. I have Asperger Syndrome, but since it went undiagnosed until my later teen years, I lived like a typical kid, with other diagnoses. I believe it did help me fit into society better, but I do still have a lot of issues. I'm not advocating raising kids like they have no issues, either. That could be very bad. Every person is different.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 2:02 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I hate the word normal. No one is normal, and I think kids/people who are autistic are extraordinary.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 2:05 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I agree with Imogine. I do not like the word normal. We use the word typical to describe a child without disabilities. My son was diagnosed almost 9 years ago, and he's come a very long way. We are proud of all his accomplishments, big and small!!! In short, MY SON ROCKS!!!!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 2:58 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• There are plenty of kids who are misdiagnosed, I think. Look into gluten sensitivities and heavy metals. We're going through this with my older son right now, and some of the things I've learned about it are shocking but may give me some hope.

That being said, kids with autism are really amazing, and when their parents pursue good education/therapies/whatever that works for their children, they can absolutely thrive. These kids tend to be very bright and have great futures ahead of them.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:44 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• We know a family who had a child cured of Autism through chelation therapy
    Anonymous

• Anon:31, Autism and heavy metals are not the same thing. Chelation will rid the body of heavy metals which can create autism-like symptoms, but they are two different things.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:35 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Yes it is possible but that doesn't mean the autism has gone away. To the public I seem perfectly normal. However, if you could see inside my head you could see my autism. I think differently. You cannot change that. I process stuff differently. And in the privacy of my own home I still have meltdowns due to overstimulation. Just because someone doesn't appear to be autistic doesn't mean they aren't. It is about what's in the head and how we process and think about stuff.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 6:09 PM on Mar. 25, 2010