So my almost 4 year old daughter is in diapers still

and wont learn. I dont know if its because she doesnt want too or she doesnt get it. Im leaning towards more shes lazy and can care less. yesterday afternoon i put her down for a nap with Gerber underwear made out of cotton. she slept for a while and not once woke up feeling wet when her underwear was soaking wet like she fell in water and she went number 2. she is in disposables at school for 2 1/2 hrs and at home/weekends cloth diapered. but there is times i put her in underwear. Bribing doesnt work, clapping doesnt work, singing songs dont work. Nothing positive works! she tells me she doesnt know why she went. i personally call it BS. She leaves and goes number 2 on her self in a corner and comes back. Lies to me and my husband that she isnt dirty when she is. Both of us had it to here with her. I really do not like her teacher much (cont)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:56 PM on Mar. 25, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• She is in preschool and has a IEP and she tells me she is delayed in Conginitive Skills. Where she cant understand certain things but she talks fine, can hold a pencil/crayon very well, can make all these things a 4 year old can do but the only thing she cant do is potty train? If she has conginitive skill problems then why can she follow tasks? and understand things people tell her. it makes no sense. i need help. Stuff we have not used and im due in a week. i dont want to cloth diaper two kids. when one is not a BABY anymore.
    Anonymous

• It's not laziness then. If she's feeling the wetness and it's not bothering her, she's just not ready to train. My almost 5 year old is still in diapers, but he is special needs as well. Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome and OCD. I was told he may never train.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 1:59 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I had this problem with my DD, nothing positive went either. She just couldn't remember to go in the potty. So finally, every time she went in her panties, I took away a toy, after about a week of this (and my closet full of her favorite toys) she started catching on and everytime she went in the potty, she got one toy back...
    Anonymous

• NightPhoenix- What do you mean shes not lazy but she can feel she went pee? if she peed and knows she did and even knows more im mad that she went on her self then it is laziness. She also can care less if she has a rash. she will walk around the house soaking wet in her underwear and not say a word to me.
    Anonymous

• Anon- if i take away her toys there are still toys in her room. i have a 5 year old daughter as well (her older sister) and she has toys there, two kid chairs, a basket of toys that are my older daughters. if i take away my 3 1/2 year old stuff away she will go ahead and play with every thing else.
    Anonymous

• My son is the same way. The doctors in my case, told me that he actually does not know he's gone potty. I have to constantly be after to check him. I didn't mean to generalize, I was speaking from my own experience.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 2:04 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Start putting her on the toilet. Do not ask her. Tell her "Time to go sit on the potty". Do that every hour. Never ask her if she has to go. When you get her on the toilet. Tell her this is where you pee and poop. Only let her drink water. Tell her when she learns to pee in the toilet she will be able to drink good stuff. Stop feeding her sweets or food she really love. Tell her when she learns to poop in the toilet she will be able to eat those foods again. If this does not work, I do not know what to tell you.

Answer by louise2 at 2:05 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• louise2- i have done that sorry lol. it doesnt work. nothing works with this child and she gets on my nerves sorry. i have put her on the toilet and a potty chair with out asking. she will throw major major tantrums and i mean BIG ones. start throwing fits and crying. saying i dont want underwear, i dont want to go to the bathroom. she tells me she wants to be a baby in diapers and gets rude with me and says "you need to take a shower" or "im the boss" she hates being put on the toilet and gets really angry. i dont feed her sweets to begin with. she is lactose and cant eat sugary foods, sweets, ice cream, or dairy. i do tell her when she learns to use the bathroom she will be a big girl and wear big girl underwear or be able to have this or that and she rolls her eyes at me or she will ignore me and turn her head so she doesnt listen to me
    Anonymous

• She is smart. She is playing you. She knows what she is doing. You have to put her on that toilet weather she likes it or not. If I where you I would just stop the diapers totally. You need to make her listen.

Answer by louise2 at 2:22 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• louise2- her teacher told me what i was doing was wrong and if she doesnt want to be on the toilet i cant force her. I told her teacher of the major tantrums she throws and says "now that your almost due its going to back fire because she wont learn with a new baby around" im not asking for her to learn in 24hours but to "Get it, understand it"
    Anonymous