Was it cruel?

My 19 month old has never had a crib, he has always slept in his pack and play. And I have always felt bad about that. See when he was born he would only sleep in the bassenet part of the PP for naps, and never really slept in it full time until about 11 months old, since we co-sleep. I have always felt bad about that, like I was wrong for never getting him a crib, but honestly by the time he started sleeping in it all the time I figured it would be sooner than later he would be in a toddler bed, which we are now going to get. So what are your thought on that? Please be honest.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:07 PM on Mar. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• Whatever works for you.
    Anonymous

• Honestly, if he's okay with it, and he's sleeping fine, I really don't see the problem...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 2:10 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Not cruel. There's no reason to spend money on a crib if you co-sleep. Sounds more like you're being smart with your money. We had a crib for ODS, he never slept in it. He didn't sleep in his own bed until about 8 months ago when DH built him his own special loft bed with a slide on it. And he's about to turn 4. My YDS doesn't sleep in the crib we got for his brother. We're working on it, but not stressing about it.

nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 2:11 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• as long as he's confortable and isnt to big for the pack and play who cares, at least he has a safe place to sleep instead of sleeping on the ground or something.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:12 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• If it's this far along, you might as well buy him a twin bed. Toddler beds will only last until he outgrows that. My daughter has been in her crib until now ( 2 1/2yrs) and we just bought her a twin bed. We skipped the whole toddler bed because it would have cost us an arm and a leg and she's going to out grow it anyway!
    Anonymous

• Nope it's not cruel. My son slept in a drawer for the first few months of his life. You do what you gotta do. You have focused on the important things, taking care of his needs and making him feel safe and secure. That's what matters, not where he has slept. He's probably a very happy baby and loves you very much.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:15 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Hey, I had a crib that NEVER got used because I co-slept with my son as well. He went from co-sleeping to his toddler bed because the handful of times we tried to get him in his crib, he hated it.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with taking care of your baby even if it's an unconventional way. : )
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 2:19 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• THANK YOU LADIES!!!! Now I dont feel so guilty for never getting him one!
    Anonymous

• my daughter would only fall asleep in the car seat so for about the first 4 months of her life thats where she slept! i thought she would have back problems when she got a lil older! but thank god shes ok.... as long as you are taking care of your baby it doesnt matter where he sleeps as long as he is comfortable and safe! at 9 nine months my baby girl use to fall asleep in the high chair, under the table, and in the hall way! babies are funny.. enjoy your baby! :)
    gonzalez3

Answer by gonzalez3 at 2:33 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• it is not cruel at ll. we do what works for us! why spend the extra $ on gear you are not going to use?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:36 PM on Mar. 25, 2010