How often did your kids have blowouts?

My daughter pooped all the way up her back yesterday. I don't even know how to happened, we were eating lunch in a restaurant and she was sitting quietly in her seat. All of a sudden, she started grunting and turning red, and her shirt turned an icky color. That was the first time she's done it in public! It's like a rite of passage :D

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 2:21 PM on Mar. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• He did it more when he was younger (like before he turned 1). Usually it's a sign that you should move up a size or switch brands.
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 2:46 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Oh, but yes, my son did the public blow-out. The very first time was when he was less than 3 months old and I completely forgot to grab the diaper bag. I was at a recital for my little sister and tried to make a pretend-diaper with paper towels in the bathroom. I ended up having to leave, of course. : )
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 2:47 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Never.
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 2:51 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Only two or three times, but they were really little, and usually sick. It is super gross, and why we always had a change of clothes in our diaper bag. I think this only ever happened in public.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 2:57 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• 8 or 9 time's.
    annie610

Answer by annie610 at 3:11 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• only when they were in disposables - and that was rare.

I used cloth for all three - it contains the poop much better.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:32 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• My son is very thin, which means diapers that fit around are too short. He also has a super high-metabolism, which means lots of poop several times a day. He had blow-outs several times a week from about 6 months to about 18 months.
    Anonymous

• My son had blow-outs at least once every couple of weeks or so when he was under 9months. He was breast fed plus formula, so he had that icky mustard-ey/brownish poop that would stain his clothes. Yep, he'd make the faces and then my husband and I are like, "Oh no, not now!" Then fight over who's turn it is to deal with THAT. It's funny to think about it now, but back then it was like terrible, because we'd be out doing errands, and either you hear it, smell it, or see it... LOL!! My daughter is strictly formula so she's only had blow-outs maybe like 3 times and she just turned 1. But yeah, bring a daiper bag with plenty of wipes, daipers, powder, Desatin, formula, bottled water, a small blanket, a jacket, and at least 2 sets of clothes--just to be on the safe side!
    Naomitachan

Answer by Naomitachan at 11:52 PM on Mar. 25, 2010