My 2 year old son has been pointing and saying no we tell him to do thngs. we have tried everything to stop it what else can we do?

RobinWeir

Asked by RobinWeir at 2:21 PM on Mar. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If one of my toddlers tells me "no" I say, "Uh Oh, it's sad you don't want to do what I have asked. It looks like you need a little time to get sweet." I put them in time out in their room and go back when they have been quiet/sweet for at least 2 minutes. When I go back for them I tell them I'm happy to have my sweet girl/boy back, and then I ask them if they are ready to do whatever it was they refused to do. They either go do what I asked or they go back to their room to practice being sweet a little longer. On a bad day this may happen many times, but on most days it doesn't happen more than once or twice, which I think is pretty good for 2 two year olds.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:30 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Just ignore it. It is a phase. He'll stop.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:38 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• When parents say they have tried everything they usually mean punishment. They have tried hitting, time-outs, taking things away, ect. The thing is punishment does not teach good behavior. Psychologists know punishment is not an effective way to parent and that it usually doesn't stop bad behavior. Kids will usually sneak, lie, get worse, and resent their parents. Yet parents continue to punish.

Here is an article about saying no to toddlers. It offers suggestions on how to get your toddlers to do what you want them to do.

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/features/say-no-without-saying-no
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:48 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Ok, I'm going to explain a little further. To begin with, I try to avoid setting myself up for a battle. I don't order my kids to do things; I ask them and I give them choices. For instance, if I want them to pick up toys before bedtime, I don't say "Pick up your toys." Instead, I'll ask something like, "Do you want to pick up your toys first and then read a book, or do you want to read a book and then pick up your toys?" Most of the time choices will prevent tasks from turning into battles, but sometimes they choose to read a book first, and then when it's time to pick up the toys they resist. This is when I have a consequence for their bad attitude - the consequence is that they spend some time alone and not doing whatever it was they wanted to do instead of picking up the toys. Consequences are designed to give the child an undesired result for bad behavior, and are intended to teach rather than to punish.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:28 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• When my DD points at me I make her hold her hand in the air for 4 mins..like a time out for her hand..each year earns a minute. When I ask DD to do something, I'll usually start to help her do whatever it is and let her finish..Like cleaning up her room, or a certin toy, making her bed and what-not. Sometimes she'll tell me she doesn't want me to help her, so I don't.
    Kaydens_mommy06

Answer by Kaydens_mommy06 at 3:42 PM on Mar. 25, 2010