Should you make a child play sports even if they don't want too!

My daughter has played basketball since she has been in 1st grade now that shes in the 6th grade she does not want to play! I think that sprots are great for children it teaches them how to work as a team and it teaches them that the harder you work the better you can be and I think that the lessons are life long. Am I wrong to push her to stay in the program it she does not want too! I don't want her to think that quitting is ok.

rlklug

Asked by rlklug at 2:21 PM on Mar. 25, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• No, you are not allowing them to find their own interests. Your way only promotes what you want. If she does it for you then you are teaching her she has no voice in her life. You don't want her to grow up and marry a man who makes her do things she doesn't want to do, do you? That's what you are teaching her by forcing her to continue in something she knows she doesn't want. Validate HER feelings and promote HER interests.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:23 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Nope, If six years isn't long enough for you I don't know what would be. I don't like them to quit in the middle of the season. She will probably pick up another sport or music, drama, some new interest. Middle school is a time to explore.
    Anonymous

• i think there are other wonderful ways to encourage teamwork. even girl scouts! there are other sports she might rather try as well. i agree that lessons learned from athletics carry on for life, but there may be reasons you are not aware of that makes your daughter not want to play basketball anymore. we should foster our kids natural abilities when we can, i think! my kids are still pretty young, so i haven't been where you are.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:28 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• hubby and I are allowing son 13yrs quit soccer _ END OF SEASON_ never in the middle of a season

... but he MUST be involved in something. He gets to choose. We prefer sports but we have opened it up to clubs, music, other. But a child with too much time is a child who will get into trouble.
    Anonymous

• Shes your daughter and if thats wat you want her to do and you think it will benefit her in the future..then NO you are not wrong!
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 2:46 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I don't think it's right to force her to do something she doesn't want to do, but I agree that she needs to be involved in some kind of extra curricular activity of her choice.
    Anonymous

• If she doesn't want to play you can't force her, but I would insist she replace it with something else athletic.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:57 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• She needs to do what she wants to when it comes to sports. Why would you call it quitting? Why would you make her feel like a quitter? I feel it's more important that she knows that she doesnt have to do ANYTHING she doesnt want to do and it's fine to change corse in your life. Are you still working at your first job? Like McDonalds? Kids change as they get older. Sports may be not what she's into anymore. Shopping, boys, and phones will take over. I always thought the girls who did sports in high school were butchy.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 3:20 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• While sports are good exercise, you shouldn't force a child to participate in one they don't want to. Besides, you cannot MAKE her play.
    Anonymous

• No- let her find something she WANTS to do
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 3:58 PM on Mar. 25, 2010