Any suggestions on how to get your 6 month baby to sleep through the night

He is a breast feed baby. But he eats cereal and or a veg every night for dinner. He has slept though the night prior but for the last 2 months has not? Whats going on?? Am I enabling him?

Foreverafter

Asked by Foreverafter at 2:53 PM on Mar. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I am 47 years old and I still don't sleep through the night. Be patient, try and keep your baby comfortable with a full tummy, dry diaper, etc... Don't make bed time too early and hope they sleep at least 5 hours before they wake the first time. They are still growing so much as this age and they need to eat.
    Anonymous

• Does he sleep five hours? That is sleeping thorugh the night and may or may not happen by this age. Dusk to dawn is not common for infants and toddlers. It's actually not common for adults either but we've developed the ability to go back to sleep. (Most of us, anyway...my husband can't do it.) Babies have to grow into this.

Check out :The No Cry Sleep Solution" by Elizabeth Pantley which is breastfeeding friendly. But no worries here. He's normal.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:30 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I advise you to hang in there and nurse him at night. I think he is really too little to be doing this as a control issue so if he is waking at night he still needs to eat or receive comfort. I know it stinks and you are ready to be done getting up in the night but try to hang in there and in a few short months he will outgrow this and be able to sleep longer. I know it doesn't happen with all children but my DD eventually went down to one nighttime feeding by about 8 mos, and then that tapered off and by 1 yr she was sleeping through the night consistently. By letting her set the time table I avoided crying it out, etc. I mean, eventually I would have had to help her but at 6 mos I think you listen to your babies needs if at all possible and comply. Another thing that I read that helped was to make sure baby eats a lot during the day- so maybe add cereal and veg at lunch time too and keep increasing servings little by little.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:50 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• The best way to get a 6 month old to sleep through the night is to wait 6 to 7 more months. I know there are moms here that love "Baby Wise" and "Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child" but those books pretty much tell you to shut the door, turn off the baby monitors and ignore your baby. Babies get hungry and thirsty during the night and you should tend to their needs.

Enabling a 6 month old? This is what pop psychology has done to our society. He is an infant. You can't enable an infant. You either take care of them or you don't.
    Anonymous

• He's a normal baby. And as others have said, if you get 5 hours, that's a sleep through. Babies don't sette into an adult sleep pattern consistently until age three or four. Six months especially is a time for teething, new milestones, and a major growth spurt...all of which cause more frequent wakes.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 5:00 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Wait a year.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:29 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I echo everyone else. Give baby time. There is no way to get a 6 month old to do anything.. they have no empathy, therefore no ability to manipulate. If your baby can't understand YOU have needs/feelings your baby is not going to try to manipulate feelings that the baby has no idea exists. All this "baby's manipulate" crap is just that, crap.

Your baby shouldn't sleep through the night til your baby is ready. Could be 2 months off an on could be in another year. Be patient and it'll happen and you won't have a toddler with horrid sleep habits because they were FORCED to sleep. IF you let them do it themselves they'll sleep better.
    Anonymous