Does anyone use the "family Closet" concept?

Hi!
Just wondering how many here use the "family closet" concept. Any tips for
getting one started? What about the logistics of it? Does everyone pick out
clothes the night before? Is it better to situate it close to bedrooms or close
to laundry room (what if that is in the basement?). I'd like to begin something
like that in our home, and better yet - I want to know how to plan for one if we
ever get to build a home.

Thanks!

simplyplain

Asked by simplyplain at 3:07 PM on Mar. 25, 2010 in Home & Garden

• never heard of a family closet... can you please explain?

Anonymous

• A family closet is where you keep all the family's clothes together in one BIG closet (like a store room, or spare bedroom, or maybe just clothes rods and shelves set up in the laundry room). Heard it in use from a few large families and wanted more info myself! :)
    simplyplain

Answer by simplyplain at 3:20 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• hey that sounds easy...put the family closet with the washer dryer and ironing board....never put clothes away again?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 4:59 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• now i can't get this idea out of my head!!! this is going in my dream home, with a huge mudroom!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:39 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• We don't have the space for something like that, but it sounds like a handy idea.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:00 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• A lot of larger families do that. The Duggars do. They put all the clothes in one closet. The kids go and pick them out from there. They hang and iron all their clothes. I think it is a great idea. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• omg I am so excited I peed a smidge lol. seriously why didnt I ever think of this? I dont have a spare room but I do have a huge walk in closet that we could all use. frees up more storage for the kids in their room as then I can remove the closet doors nd put a desk or some built ins in there...(wanders off to design) ty poster...oh wait what was the question? hee hee
    I say closer to the laundry room if possible, because it is way less work moving the clothing there. I would say tho you would have to do a sched for daily clothes picking out, kwim? you have 4 kids, each gets a 10 min time slot, or 15 to choose for the next day, and then those clothes have a designated spot thats easy to grab9even a spot in their rooms)...now thos what abotu underwear and such? do the dressers for those items go into the family closet?
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 10:35 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• With our family, I don't see the benefit of this in our house. We don't have a centrally located closet big enough for that near the laundry closet. I also don't have children as close in age as the Duggars. My 15 yr old daughter wouldn't be sharing clothes with her 20 yr old twin brothers or her 12 yr old younger brother. The twins use to have a common closet and dresser, but with one away at college and the same twin getting ready to get married, its all been seperated by who wore what the most often. And most of what my almost 13 yr old would have worn had he grown in to it from his older brothers, wasn't worth saving as my kids wear clothes til the fall apart. We don't buy new clothes every season, only when something has been outgrown or worn out.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:52 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• We only have one closet in our 100 year old house (there are none in the bedrooms) so that's where everything that needs hung up goes. It does simplify things. The closet it is in the living room and was actually an addition about 30 years ago. before then I imagine that they used wardrobes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• I knew a large family that did that for the kids and socks and sweats and stuff.... they had all the socks, cleaned but unsorted in laundry bins and the kids would dig through there for sock (they only bought white socks) they also had a baskets full of sweats and t shirts that the kids would dig through. My kids are 4 years apart so that would not work for us, but the Mom said just not having to sort socks was a huge time saver.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:32 AM on Mar. 26, 2010