LIttle boy playing with breast pump

I was watching a show called 'Extreme Parenting' on Discovery Health and there was a couple who were raising their two boys without gender boundaries. The little boys played with dolls, wore high heels, and dressed up in dresses. I didn't think that was too bad, but one of them played with the Mom's breast pump! That is just so weird and unsanitary. Kids should not be allowed to play with adult things. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:09 PM on Mar. 25, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Good god women, it wasn't her vibrator. It was a breast pump that she used on him. It was washed I am sure. Not unsanitary.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:11 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• depends on if it's still in use or not. If she's not still using it, whatever. That's something I personally wouldn't demote to toy status after use like some things.
    Anonymous

• it is no different than a child "nursing" a baby doll
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:12 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Relax. Kids are curious. Let them check things out. Not a big deal. There are bigger fights to fight.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 3:12 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• You posted this in one of my groups didn't you? Get over it.
    ArkTech

Answer by ArkTech at 3:13 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• haha, no, I only posted it here! Someone else must have watched the show.
    Anonymous

• please tell me that they also offered the boys 'tradtionally' boys toys too. I think it would be cruel to only allowed the boys to play with traditionally girl toys.

Anonymous

• Unsanitary? How so? Human milk is sterile.

When my boys were young 30 years ago there was a movement for non-sexist childrearing and my boys had neutral toys. Not extreme boy or girl toys. They didn't dress up in extreme woman clothes because I didn't have any. They may have played with a pump. They had slings they carried their stuffed animals and Cabbage Patch Dolls in.

They learned how to do everything that's considered male work and female work. They are good cooks. I highly recommend non-sexist childrearing, they do also. They didn't turn out femine, they turned out competent since they can do everything and have the best of male and female traits.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:16 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I wouldn't let my daughter play with a breast pump. Why? That's like giving her a hair straightener to play with. They are not toys and I do believe that there are adult things and kid things. Kids should not be able to just pull drawers open and play with whatever they want.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 3:19 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• The kids had "boy" toys and "girl" toys. Both. They also like my son had a kitchen set and a baby doll to play with. They did have trucks and balls and the like.

They played with it so they could pretend to pump and nurse like mom. They don't get to just drag stuff out of drawers. Have you kids never play with an object that wasn't actually a toy? Geeze.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:22 PM on Mar. 25, 2010